• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I would appreciate assistance in installing Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a desktop computer. At the beginning of the Windows 7 installation I receive this message.

Load Driver:
A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD/DVD or USB flash drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

My hardware setup is:

• Intel Core i7-3770K LGA 1155
  • ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard (updated to the latest bios, P8Z77-V LK BIOS 0904)
  • Corsair 8 GB DDR3 memory
  • Seagate Barracuda 2 TB SATA 6GB drive
  • LG BD SATA ROM / DVD-CD Writer
  • Corsair PSU 400 Watts

This message occurs after the following screens:

1. Windows is loading files
  2. Starting Windows
  3. Install Windows Screen, Windows 7
  4. Choose language - English, Time & Currency -US, and Keyboard US (kept these settings)
  5. Install Now

What I have done. I assembled all the drivers for the ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard from their website and copied them to a USB drive. During installation when the installation requests the drivers, I access the USB drive and attempt to add the drivers but without success. I also tried changing the SATA bios setting from AHCI to IDE but no success (I've gone back and forth on this setting). I also tried the ASUS CD but no success.

Because I have had no success installing the Windows 7, I tried installing Windows XP Professional 32-bit. If the SATA bios setting is set to IDE mode, I am able to install successfully Windows XP. I then attempted to install Windows 7 again but no success.

I have had built many computers systems successfully previously including Windows 7. This problem has me stumped. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Member Summary

Hmm, that's odd. Since it specifies the optical drive, do you have another DVD drive you can use for the installation process as a troubleshooting step? Even a USB DVD drive should work. If so, and it works, swap the BD drive back in after Win7 is setup.

I have only 1 optical drive, but I did connect an IDE optical drive using a IDE to USB adapter. Again, the install requests a missing driver.

I'd just unplug the drive and install from a flash drive....and or use nlite to stick in any drivers that may be missing.
If that doesn't work then it would have to be something else.

But it seems really strange since win7 should already have them in there. It was XP that was fussy about using different types of drives.

Daddio1949 said:   I have only 1 optical drive, but I did connect an IDE optical drive using a IDE to USB adapter. Again, the install requests a missing driver.Did you disconnect the BD drive when you did that?

comprx said: Did you disconnect the BD drive when you did that?

Yes, the optical SATA drive was disconnected. Currently, the install of Win 7 sees the Windows XP installation.

lordoffire said: I'd just unplug the drive and install from a flash drive....and or use nlite to stick in any drivers that may be missing.
I'm creating the flash drive now for another attempt.

I thought about slip streaming the drivers, but what are the missing drivers. I've attempted to add the drivers during the install but to no avail. Each time I add drivers, I receive the message missing drivers.

Am I looking drivers other than SATA?
Are there multiple missing drivers?

Daddio1949 said:   
I'm creating the flash drive now for another attempt.

I thought about slip streaming the drivers, but what are the missing drivers. I've attempted to add the drivers during the install but to no avail. Each time I add drivers, I receive the message missing drivers.

Am I looking drivers other than SATA?
Are there multiple missing drivers?

you're using a sata drive, correct?

you shouldn't need any drivers with win7....(the bios should be set to ACHI AFAIK)

LOF if right -- shouldn't need any drivers for a standard setup.

Any USB card readers or other USB devices connected?

Edit: Asus shows this with 4 SATA 3Gb ports and 2 SATA 6Gb ports. Have you tried moving the hard drive from where it is to the other type? Shouldn't make a difference if they're both on one controller, but any easy check.

Strange indeed. Did you post the exact text of the driver message? Was there any more to it?

Transferring the Windows 7 setup to a USB drive did the trick. I created a Windows 7 USB boot drive, and the installation went smoothly. I am still perplexed as to why the installation DVD would not work.

Thank to everybody who commented.

I had a laptop that would load Win 7 from the CD drive but would not load WIN XP from the same drive. (The XP disk worked in other computers.) Sometimes computers are just strange. You shake your head and just move on.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014