WIFI Modem and Router

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a modem at home I purchased at Qwest
(now Century Link) about five years ago. I am upgrading my internet speed this week and thought I might also look into upgrading my modem.
Would this be necessary, have an influence over my internet speed (downloading)?
I purchased the Netgear N900 not realizing it was just a router and connecting the two seems complicated as my modem isn't a simple one as it appears on the instructions.
Can someone recommend a good WIFI (wireless) modem/router combination. I don't download games but need a fast (good) connection for streaming video, using a videophone (streaming) and regular internet use with many devices in the house operating on WIFI.
Thank you!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is DSL right? DSL can be a bit tricky in that some modems don't work right with some providers. You may want to contact your provider and get a list of 'approved' modems. You don't have to get one of them, but if you ever need to call support they may not help if you don't get one from the approved list.

Either way though, connecting a router to your modem should be very straight forward. Modem OUT goes to router WAN / Internet IN. Any of the router OUT ports goes to your PC. That should be it for the basic setup. What is there about your modem that makes you think it isn't 'simple' and won't work this way?

Thank you for the information. I read online that it might be difficult to connect the router to an existing modem router where I might need to change some sort of setup and numbers. So can I easily connect my new router, the Netgear N900, to my existing modem router even though my modem is not a simple basic modem like the instructions on the box? And would it be okay to use my existing modem that is 5 years old in with the new router and still get the benefits of the high speed new router?

If all you are doing it getting Internet there is no problem with connecting the old router to the new one. If you are doing more advanced things that require changes or port forwarding you may run into some complications.

As for using the old modem, run a speed test. Are you getting the speed you are paying for? If so the modem is fine.

Thanks again! The new speed should be turned on today. I'll check and see what speed we're getting with the old modem/router.
What more advanced things are you referring to?
So would the old modem/router bring the new router (N900) down or affect the new router in any way? I just don't want to waste money and install a new router, connecting to my old modem router, and the speed not improve.
That's why I was thinking of just buying a new modem/router instead.

Advanced things like remote cameras or torrents.

The old modem will work at whatever speed it is capable of, no matter what is connected to it. If it handles the speed you are paying for you are fine. That's why you want to test it without a router connected - so you are sure you are testing just it, nothing else.

Just remember when you get your new router: Power everything down, ie. modem and computer. Then connect your router to the computer but don't turn router on. Turn on modem (wait for the lights to stabilize). Next, turn on router (let lights stabilize). Now turn on computer. Everything should be working, now. I have a Motorolla 5100 modem (cable internet). It's been out for a few years and will handle speeds up to 30mb download. I have a 15/3 plan so I'm good for a while. Check and see if your modem can handle your new speed.

I'm paying for 12 mbps (or up to that I guess).
I just tested the internet speed with old modem and it's downloading speed is 9.58 mbps.
Does this mean a new modem will help get a more accurate speed of what I'm paying for???
Thanks

Maybe. That's a tough call... 12 is your max and honestly you aren't likely to see that very often. Depending on how far you are from one of their boxes (can't remember what they are called) you may never see anything higher than that test. Other than testing with another modem though, I don't know of any way to find out.

So do you think an older modem modem/router is still ok to have?
I just want to get what I'm paying for.
I don't mind buying a new one but don't want to waste money if it won't do anything to help speed up the connection.

There is nothing wrong with old, as long as it works. I had a DSL modem for years. Only replaced it when it started dropping connection. I haven't seen any speed difference with my new one, but then again I'm already at the max speed available where I am.

So, again, there's no way to tell if you'd get better speeds with a new one other than testing with that new one.

I just called CenturyLink and the modem I have works for speeds up to 12 mbps, which is why I ordered.
Tech support said that if I connect a computer directly to the modem, I should see a speed closer to 12 but since I did the test on a wireless device, my speed will be lower, closer to 10 or so).
He said getting a new modem won't make a difference unless I increase my internet speed to higher than 12.
So glad I don't need to waste money.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014