• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
If you are wondering why some pages aren't working or some controls such as text editors aren't working in Firefox, it's because they changed how Firefox identifies itself. Mozilla decided to change their user string formatting on the latest version of Firefox.

Previously, it identified itself with a very high number 20010101(YEARMONTHDAY). Now, it will be identifying itself as 17.0 .

Scripts that detect the browser version will either crash if they are expecting an integer, or they will think it's a very very old version of Firefox. Since 17 is less than 20010101, it is assumed that 17 is a very old version. So far, I've found a bunch of text editors that stopped working.

What does this mean? You might want to use Chrome or IE until either Mozilla reverts back to the 8 digit number, or the sites you frequent update their code.

mozilla said: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Firefox_17_for_develope...

User Agent

The Gecko part of the user agent string changed. The build date (which hadn't been updated since 2010) was removed, and the Gecko version number was put in its place instead. So Gecko/20100101 -> Gecko/17.0. This may affect you if you are doing user agent sniffing.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues, but I don't use text editors in FF.

Many forums use html text editors. Fatwallet doesn't.

It's not limited to text editors, though. Any script that looks for compatible versions of mozilla will have a problem.

I've hacked the code on some of my sites to remove such checks from the third party javascript rich software.

Oh, I see. I thought you meant add-ons to FF, not web sites. That makes it even more interesting. Guess I'll see if I run into issues as I try to post on different sites.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014