firefox problems

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
it's related to FF or a windows update, but im getting firefox hanging. scipts failing to respond, same in FF safe mode, i removed it and tried a clean install but i cand seem to win this

Member Summary

it was giving me a weird problem a few days ago, believe it was a bad addon

on my 64bit machine with 8gb ram it only briefly hangs, but my 32bit work laptop w/4gig it is the suk now, and my portable firefox that runs from a flash drive acts the same, wtf?

Firefox now identifies itself to browsers differently. The user agent changed with FF17. Some sites might run alternate scripts thinking it's an old version of firefox. 17 < 20030110

They assume sites will adapt, and are confident that people wont flee to chrome or IE.

riznick said:   Firefox now identifies itself to browsers differently. The user agent changed with FF17. Some sites might run alternate scripts thinking it's an old version of firefox. 17 < 20030110

They assume sites will adapt, and are confident that people wont flee to chrome or IE.

I believe they reverted this change as part of 17.0.1.

NxN2005 said:   riznick said:   Firefox now identifies itself to browsers differently. The user agent changed with FF17. Some sites might run alternate scripts thinking it's an old version of firefox. 17 < 20030110

I believe they reverted this change as part of 17.0.1.

It appears you are correct based on the changelog.

i disabled all add-ons and it works great

On a related note: With the new Firefox, when I transfer my favorites over to it, they remain in a folder called "favorites" that I have to click on (after clicking on Bookmarks) to get to my favorites. On the older Firefoxes, when I would import my favorites into the browser, I just had to click on "bookmarks" and all my favorites would appear. What's with the extra step?

Not sure what caused that, but if you go to Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks you can move them to the main menu so you won't have to do that each time.

There are many disadvantage of Firefox it has slow startup time. It use more memory than other browsers. Certain websites do not render as expected in Firefox. Mozilla Firefox does not provide an MSI package. Even, i agree if we remove every add-ons it will work great.

the problem seems to be with protected mode, i added the line to disable and now i can run firefox with the plugins i want, but it was completely making my work laptop useless, win7 32bit/i7/4Gb i can't understand why it renders this relatively powerful configuration a pile of crap, but it's fixed
How to Disable Protected Mode of Flash Player in Firefox

minidrag said:   Not sure what caused that, but if you go to Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks you can move them to the main menu so you won't have to do that each time.
Slightly OT, but how do you do this with IE, also? I notice my "favorites' are in a folder that I have to click on, instead of being immediately available.

Click on the STAR (to open Favorites) then on the Add to Favorites button click the down arrow and choose Organize

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014