• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am sure this ie very simple for most people but not for me.

I am assisting an office setup and started out with One desktop, hooked up via printer cable to Brother laser printer (not wireless). Now just installed three additional printers but do not know how to solve the problem.

Here is the setup:

four desktop hooked up to the internet via Router. Router hooked up to internet via cable modem. Wireless is not an option. How can I setup all four desktop to work with the printer. Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Just as an FYI, I have a Brother network printer (DCP-7065DN) and there are no lights on the printer's LAN port when con... (more)

comprx (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 2:36p) |

Thank you all.

Had two of these printers. switched them and the problem is solved.

It seems the LAN port was bad.

When ha... (more)

haramkhor (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 5:57p) |

Hopefully still under warranty?

forbin4040 (Jan. 03, 2013 @ 11:56a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does the printer have a wired ethernet port? If so, plug it into the router via cable and install printer on computers as a network printer. Simplest solution.

You could also share the printer on the desktop it is currently plugged into, but the computer needs to be configured properly and will need to be on all the time for the other computers to be able to print.

comprx said:   Does the printer have a wired ethernet port? If so, plug it into the router via cable and install printer on computers as a network printer. Simplest solution.

You could also share the printer on the desktop it is currently plugged into, but the computer needs to be configured properly and will need to be on all the time for the other computers to be able to print.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions tommorrow.

All four desktops are going to run windows xp pro. If the first part does not work then how to do the second part.

ellory said:   See the sticky

Thanks but when I clicked on the link titled Setup your computers so that they are in the same workgroup under windows XP SP2 section, goes to page that no longer exist.

Please assist.

Put all computers on the same network (IP addresses - this is probably happening automatically) and also the same workgroup (Windows' setting - if you haven't changed the default on any of them it will be the same 'WORKGROUP').

On the computer directly connected to the printer, install the printer and then share it (right-click the printer and share).

On the other computers go to 'Printers and Faxes' and add printer. Select 'network printer'. Allow Windows to install the driver for the printer.

If you really meant 'just installed three additional printers' and not three additional machines, then you have to share each printer on its connected machine and also install each printer on the remote machine that wants to use it.

I;ve never had good luck with Shared Printers on a windows network.
It usually messes up after a while and the shared computer needs to be restarted.

Go with the IP solution.

ChinaRider said:   Put all computers on the same network (IP addresses - this is probably happening automatically) and also the same workgroup (Windows' setting - if you haven't changed the default on any of them it will be the same 'WORKGROUP').

On the computer directly connected to the printer, install the printer and then share it (right-click the printer and share).

On the other computers go to 'Printers and Faxes' and add printer. Select 'network printer'. Allow Windows to install the driver for the printer.

If you really meant 'just installed three additional printers' and not three additional machines, then you have to share each printer on its connected machine and also install each printer on the remote machine that wants to use it.

Meant to say add three desktop machines and not add three printers. Sorry for the confusion.

Sharing over the network is the best solution for this scenario.

If the brother has Ethernet install it that way

What type of router are you using? Some have a built in print server were you plug the printer into the router over usb. Anything that can connect to the router can connect to the printer. You can also buy a print server separately.

print servers can be problematic
Buy a network capable printer

Thanks all. The printer is Brother 8460N is a network printer. Has Ethernet port. Gong to connect it to the router and try to install the printers. Will keep u posted.

OR use Gcloud Printer server it's free can use any computers with it, must be on net of course.

ethernet port is the way to go. Download from brother the network print driver and install it on each PC

Thanks to all. Today I was able to go to the office and started with hooking up the printer ehternet port with ethernet cable to the router. It is not working. Below is the transcript of my chat with brother support. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

3:57 PM Michael: Hello, Haramkhor. Thank You for contacting Brother Chat Support. Just a moment while I review your issue.
3:57 PM Haramkhor: I am trying to use three desktop connected to one belkin router. I also have via ethernet cable, connected the Brother 8460N to the belkin router. Now I need assistance to make all the desktops to print documents etc to the printer.
3:57 PM Haramkhor: how long is the wait ?
3:58 PM Michael: I understand that printing issue can be frustrating let's see what we can do to resolve this for you Haramkhor.
3:59 PM Haramkhor: thanks
3:59 PM Haramkhor: thanks
3:59 PM Michael: You will need to install the software for the printer onto those computers.
3:59 PM Michael: What is the operating system of your computer?
4:00 PM Haramkhor: windows xp professional
4:00 PM Michael: Do you have the installation disc, have you already installed the software?
4:02 PM Haramkhor: i donot have the install disc. I did go to the website and downloaded the following driers . http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dow... and Full Driver & Software
4:02 PM Michael: Is it already installed, and you are unable to print over the network?
4:03 PM Haramkhor: i can print only when I use he usb connect option
4:04 PM Michael: I understand.
4:04 PM Michael: I have a solution I can send to you which will guide you through some steps to resolve your issue. Please copy and paste this into a new browser window, may I send these instructions to you now?
4:04 PM Haramkhor: ok
4:05 PM Haramkhor: reay
4:05 PM Haramkhor: ready
4:05 PM Michael: http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap/bc/bsp/sap/zsdb/display.htm?...
4:05 PM Michael: Once you have completed the steps, your issue should be resolved. If you happen to run into any issues you can call 1-877-276-8437 or start another chat session with an agent and we will be glad to assist you.
4:06 PM Michael: Is there anything else I can assist you with before we close our chat session?
4:06 PM Haramkhor: i sec
4:09 PM Michael: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
4:09 PM Haramkhor: i am almost done
4:10 PM Haramkhor: ok so i print the network config report but cannot find the ip address for the printer
4:11 PM Michael: It should be in the center of the page.
4:12 PM Haramkhor: ip address 0.0.0.0.
4:12 PM Haramkhor: subnet mask 0.0.0.0.0.
4:12 PM Haramkhor: ip gateway 0.0.0.0.
4:12 PM Michael: It is not getting an ip address, try another port on the router and wait a min, then print the report.
4:12 PM Haramkhor: Boot treis 3
4:13 PM Haramkhor: ok
4:13 PM Haramkhor: should I remove the usb printer cable ?
4:16 PM Haramkhor: are you still there
4:16 PM Michael: I am.
4:16 PM Michael: Did you print the report?
4:16 PM Haramkhor: good !
4:16 PM Haramkhor: yes. Same thing !
4:17 PM Haramkhor: should I remove the usb printer cable and then run the report ?
4:17 PM Haramkhor: with only the ethernet cable between printer and router ?>
4:18 PM Michael: That should not matter, try another ethernet cable.
4:19 PM Haramkhor: good idea
4:20 PM Haramkhor: one sec
4:21 PM Michael: Ok, that is fine.
4:24 PM Haramkhor: same thing
4:25 PM Michael: Make sure the machine Is not operating and then disconnect all the cables from the machine (except power cable) Press MENU, 6 (Lan), 0 (Factory Reset). Press 1 to select #Reset.# Press 1 to select #Yes.# The machine will re-start. Reconnect the cables.
4:26 PM Haramkhor: turn off the machine and then restart ? just unplug all cables ?
4:27 PM Michael: Yes, follow the steps, I just posted.
4:28 PM Haramkhor: complete
4:29 PM Michael: After reconnecting the ethernet cable, wait a minute and print the report again.
4:32 PM Haramkhor: same thing. however, now there is no ip address for primary dns server. before it used to be 198.16x.x.x
4:34 PM Michael: I would recommend contacting your router manufacturer or internet service provider and advise them, you do not get an ip address to a device connected to the router.
4:34 PM Haramkhor: another thing, for all this time, the Ethernet Link Status is Link Down, 10baseT #Link drops=0
4:34 PM Haramkhor: but all my desktops are able to get them , laptops are able to get them and mobile devices can ?
4:35 PM Michael: Did you follow the steps to reset the network card, that I posted?
4:35 PM Haramkhor: yes. to the point
4:37 PM Michael: One moment while I research your issue.
4:39 PM Michael: Yes, the ethernet link status is down, because the router does not see the machine.
4:39 PM Michael: The router, is in charge of providing an ip address to the device.
4:39 PM Michael: I would recommend contacting your router manufacturer or internet service provider and advise them, you do not get an ip address to a device connected to the router
4:40 PM Haramkhor: ok
4:40 PM Michael: I do apologize.
4:40 PM Michael: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
4:42 PM Haramkhor: no
4:42 PM Michael: Thank you for contacting Brother.

your printer is not getting an IP address. Assuming your router is DHCP and is not limited the number of IPs, I would start by power cycling the router then try again with the printer setup

"4:34 PM Haramkhor: another thing, for all this time, the Ethernet Link Status is Link Down, 10baseT #Link drops=0"

That worries me. Makes me think there is something wrong with the port on the printer. Does the router have LEDs for each port? When you connect the printer does the LED come on?

Did you try another port on the router?

Also, in LAN setup on the printer you can try setting the boot option to DHCP directly and restarting it. Main menu -> 6. LAN -> 1. TCP/IP -> 1. Boot method -> select DHCP.

comprx said:   Did you try another port on the router?

Also, in LAN setup on the printer you can try setting the boot option to DHCP directly and restarting it. Main menu -> 6. LAN -> 1. TCP/IP -> 1. Boot method -> select DHCP.

Tried everything but the printer just does not take IP address from the router and just out right frustrating.

Is the ethernet port lit on both the router and the printer?

ellory said:   Is the ethernet port lit on both the router and the printer?

No. Both for the router and printer. already changed the cable and the cable is good as it works for the other devises. router port is good as it works for other devices.

No? So the port does NOT light up? The port on the printer is bad. That's the only thing that fits all the trouble shooting you have done.

Just as an FYI, I have a Brother network printer (DCP-7065DN) and there are no lights on the printer's LAN port when connected. Still sounds like a problem with the printer's LAN port or configuration though.

I feel your frustration -- this should be a piece of cake.

Thank you all.

Had two of these printers. switched them and the problem is solved.

It seems the LAN port was bad.

When have time, will troubleshoot the dead LAN port problem.

Hopefully still under warranty?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014