• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I got this laptop off Amazon day after Thanksgiving. Originally it has Windows 8, which I do not like.

I have a second harddrive, a Samsung 500gb SATA 2.5" drive that I'm attempting to install either Windows 7 on, or make a backup installation of Windows 8 incase the original harddrive fails.

When I attempt to install Windows 7, it just hangs on the loading screen for hours on end. It got nowhere so I gave up. When I attempt to install Windows 8 from the 3 backup DVDs it had me burn in Windows 8, it tells me there's no boot device. This was after about 2 days it took deleting the new harddrive and installing from the DVDs.

The computer didn't come with any kind of reinstall disk. I looked online and can't find anything about putting a new harddrive in. I'd really like to get an SSD to replace the regular harddrive, but I was attempting it with a normal harddrive first because I wasn't sure how Windows 8 would work, and sure enough, I'm stuck here...

This was supposed to be a present for xmas, but it's now just being a pain in the ass.

Member Summary

I'm a little confused by your message...

Are you trying to install the OS to an external HD?

Did you wipe windows out on the internal drive?

THIS may help you a bit. Esp bottom of page 55. page 56, etc

I also want to add that I worked on an older Win7 Toshiba laptop and there is a hidden partition to recover from which isn't really talked about. They way I accessed it (and it may work on yours too) is shown below.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key. <---zero

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

No, not trying to install to an external drive. Trying to put a different harddrive in

I took the original harddrive out, and placed a new 2.5" harddrive in the computer. When I tried to install Win 7 from an install disk, it hangs up.

When I try to install Win 8 from recovery media, on the new drive, it got to the end and then told me there was no bootable drive.

I do not have a working reinstall disk for Win 8, and can not install Win 7 it looks like.

Are you sure it's a good hard drive?

To recover your internal storage drive from recovery media
1 Make sure your computer is turned off.
2 Do one of the following:If your recovery files are on DVDs, insert the first recovery DVD into your optical disc drive.
3 Press and hold the F12 key immediately after pressing the power button.The Boot menu displays.
4 Using the arrow keys, select the DVD option or the USB Flash option, depending on which type of media you are using, and then press the ENTER key.
5 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data on your internal storage drive will be deleted and rewritten. Click Yes to continue.
6 Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery process.When the process is complete, a message displays indicating that the drive has been recovered.
7 Click Finish to restart the computer

Not sure about laptops, but when I switch out hard drives in my desktop, I have to go into the bios and tell it to search for all drives. Then it recognizes the new drive (size wise and such). Then I can go about loading the OS on it. Maybe your laptop is getting hung up cause it's looking for the original drive and not finding it.

One of my restore discs wouldn't work with one of my SSDs. I had to download a Windows ISO from microsoft. Fortunately my key still worked.

thumpergeek said:   When I try to install Win 8 from recovery media, on the new drive, it got to the end and then told me there was no bootable drive.Sounds like the recovery media didn't correctly configure the partitions. Do you have a partition editing program? It may be as simple as needing to set the partition to active.

Or it may be that the BCD didn't get configured correctly - it may just be pointing to the wrong place. You can fix that from the Window 7 disk if you choose Repair - it may just fix it for you automatically, but if not you can manually create the BCD if needed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014