• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
So I used system mechanic once to perform a system optimization on my slow system a few days ago. Afterewards I noticed my Acer 201hl's screen go blank to vga to dvi and back to normal, but I had to reload my chrome windows with xda forum and fatwallet? I re-installed my video drivers...still persisted...thought maybe it was flash in pages cuasing it...and it happens outside of any internet browser. CPU and system temperatures are as they should be.

I dont want to revert back because my system is quicker on boot. I usually am good on managing services and msconfig items but I can't figure why the hell my system's running slower than normal/than it should be and starts up slow. Even CPU and memory in task manager look fine

The other vnatage point is that it might by my video card. But all the fans seem to be running fine. Is there an app that would allow me to monitor my video card temperature or diagnos it/the problem?

I've gotten to use to the simplicity of android and dreading windows

Edit: Ran FurMark video card diagnostic using these settings http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100356-video-card-stress-te... Coming off of chrome my gpu temp was 58 C running the test its gone up to 73 and leveled out from 3 minutes to 10 minutes. So I'm guessing its not the video card. No artifacts. Ran for 10 minutes.

Cpu temperate and system temp are 37/32 which are pretty normal for me if I remember correctly. I' ve seen them go up to 40/42 before. Memory checked out clean using WIndows own memory diagnostic tool/mdsched

Possible areas are either a system glitch from the system mechanic (most likely), psu failure. How can I differentiate between the two?

Any more help on this?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

disabled something on startup? video driver/program/whatnot?

Why not rollback the changes System Mechanic made to see if it fixes the issue? If it doesn't you can always run it again to put those changes back in there. That's the simplest way to figure out if System Mechanic caused this.

The blackviper website has lots of help. For years he's done an excellent job helping windows users from XP through Win7 to setup and run
faster, smoother, etc.

http://www.blackviper.com/

If you can upload a good quality video of the 'flashing' it may help me to get a handle.

I'm sensitive to various kinds of flashing .. over the years I can guess at it.

It's hard to guess without seeing it.

Generally here's how I roll:
1 Never install anything new
1a Never update unless you have a problem that , absolutely, you can't stand to have. Even then sleep on it.
1b If you're updating to avoid hacks or attacks .. don't. If you think you must sleep on it then begin a study about hacks and attacks
through the 'mechanism' you're told you need to update. Flash for example isn't as much of a security risk as Adobe leads me to believe.
You'll do well to simply check your system with Malarebytes and Trend Micro Housecall.

1c Avoid sites where people are behaving badly you'll tend to avoid people finding your IP. Do that and you can't be easily attacked.

2. If you must install something try installed the smallest version of it (smallest by program size). Smaller means less CPU overhead
and better written code. If you doubt it then you must have the answer why larger coded software is larger than smaller coded software.
2a. Find alternatives to waht you want to install. Find the oldest supplier of it. Read up on it. Then install the oldest smallest coded
software type that you can find. Once you like it live with it. If you must have a larger version move slowly to larger software
sized 'packages' or find other small alternatives that do more.

TIP assembly language coded software is dozens if not hundreds of times smaller and more robust than language coded software.
In the same thinking some coding languages are more robust and smaller coding than others. Find out why and what the advantages
are if you're the type of person who wants to always load new software.

3. If you make a mistake and load something that causes problems. As long as your computer is running go read as much as you can about
the problems caused. Find out as many solutions to the problem as possible. Don't just remove the software. That doesn't always fix
the problem AND it can cause the problem to be unfixable. Sometimes removing then reinstalling the offending software can get you
back on a track. But you must educate yourself.
3a Rolling back helps. But don't depend on it. We all ran for 20 years without rollback software. I still believe in educating yourself
and the other things I mentioned.

4. If you must install something that worries you. Put it on another computer you don't use for important stuff. You can always
network them if you want to run from one keyboard or use a KVM setup (one kb and monitor with 2 or more computers)

So for your problem here's what I'd do

Roll back the system. If it's working fine then start doing something new
1. Make notes of what you change. This is what everyone does when they make changes and actually fix problems.
1a keep the notes somewhere that you can get to them if your computer dies or won't boot. Duh.

2. Check blackviper.com or here
http://www.similarsitesearch.com/alternatives-to/blackviper.com
and re do the changes to make your computer boot fast again. And write down what you changed.

Task Manager will tell you what's taking CPU cycles. If you can shut off those services (BViper's site helps) then do that.

About taking notes

Setup a hotkey (any program or icon shortcut on the desktop under properties has a 'shortcut' hotkey available to you.
Use it and fire up Notepad or Wordpad and save it as a name you'll use and remember.
Later to open it you can craete a batch file like this:

@echo off
start "D:\Program Files\Cwordpad\CWordPad.exe" "c:\users\acer1\documents\soil.rtf"

That starts 'wordpad' (not really it starts Cwordpad a better version of Wpad) and runs the document soil.rtf so I can make comments
about soil samples.
I have 3000 batch files similar to that each of which opens a Cwordpad file where I can put notes.
put your batch files in C:\bat and add c:\bat to your path.
Comm system properties / 'Environment variables' / 'system variables' / path
edit it
mine looks this way
C:\bat;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\wbem;F:\Download;C:\users\acer1\documents;C:\Program Files\QT Lite\QTSystem

The closer to the beginning the less the system looks at to find a file.
In my case the last thing in my path is how Windows handles MOV files.. It finds the answer in
C:\Program Files\QT Lite\QTSystem

My OS is Vista. Search Google for 'change system variables' or 'environment variables' path

That fixes your note taking forever.

Then tweak your system till it's faster.
Oh yeah.
Screen caps help. You could.. screen cap all of your settings where ever you can remember (since you have no notes yet?)
then just check those caps later after you restore.
Write down the settings.. writing actually changes your genetics to make you smarter. No *$hit

Good luck

Make sure the desktop background image is not causing it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015