• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This Scale:

scale

scale

scale

The windows 7 solution was chose 98/ME in compatibility but it only goes back to windows XP SP3 in windows 8.

Member Summary

Reinstall Windows 7

Doesn't windows 8 Pro have Win 7 Compatible mode?

forbin4040 said:   Doesn't windows 8 Pro have Win 7 Compatible mode?
Probably, but he needs Win 98 mode. I had to do the same thing with the scale in Win 7.

I have this scale too and was surprised that it could work under Windows 7. It's such a terrible design to make this scale completely software dependent. Too bad RS didn't cough up an extra 50 cents to include a LCD readout on the scale.

alltoohuman said:   
The windows 7 solution was chose 98/ME in compatibility but it only goes back to windows XP SP3 in windows 8.

Are you sure about that? I don't run Win 8 so I can't check for myself.

But take a look:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use...

I don't get something.

So help me understand.

If the scale was using a COM (9 pin or 25 pin RS232) then we know windows had problems (more so later I think) with COM ports because
the chipsets didn't work well with a timeshared OS. Is that correct?
(originally COM ports showed up on DOS machines. DOS isn't a time sliced / shared operating system. It's 1 'window' running in near 'real time'
Windows is always sharing CPU time with every device and open window .. if the device the RS232 chips don't
have enough data buffering then they can lock up as data 'overruns' the chip's ability to buffer and then
send it to the CPU. Data gets lost and the device can't communicate. (that's right isn't it?)

The site USB.org or similar has routines to verify USB is working.
I'd try it just to see if any problems show up. If not USB.org then another site.
http://www.usb.org/developers/tools/

Or other pages there.

Found this note about the scale and problems hope it helps
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardw...

FWIW you can install Windows 95 or 98 running from a USB or CD / DVD right?
There may be, by now, a method to run older Windows versions from a virtual 'session' I dunno.

Or dedicate a $50 Win 98 / 95 Windows computer to the scale. Anything that boots should run the scale OK.

Good luck

But I thought these problems were solved with USB.

So why is / would there be a problem with any version of Windows and USB?

andre1000 said:   I don't get something.

So help me understand.

If the scale was using a COM (9 pin or 25 pin RS232) then we know windows had problems (more so later I think) with COM ports because
the chipsets didn't work well with a timeshared OS. Is that correct?
(orignally COM ports showed up on DOS machines. DOS isn't a time sliced / shared operating system. It's 1 'window' running in near 'real time'
Windows is always sharing cpu time with every device and open window .. if the device the RS232 chips don't have enough data buffering
then they can lock up (that's right isn't it?)

But I thought these problems were solved with USB.

So why is / would there be a problem with any version of Windows and USB?

The compatibility issue is with the software that was bundled with the scale... not necessarily the USB scale itself.

The solution is to install it then do the compatibility by right clicking the desktop icon choosing properties then the compatibility tab then clicking the box to permit drop down menu to give the 98/me option.

Virtual machine with Windows 7 should work but I'm not sure you would want to do that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014