• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Bought a ASUS K55A-DB51. It's not a touchscreen so worndering is it worth upgrading to Win 8 pro or stick with Win 7 home premium that has WMC built in?

What is your experience, recommendations?
I know 8 has group policy, bitlocker, etc.. I like to fiddle and hate user control type stuff, I like full control of my machine.

P.S. Is it possible to keep Win 7 on laptop and add the 8 pro download upgrade saved on media and installed on a separate partition for dual boot?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

AFAIK, the terms of the upgrade technically does not allow double booting. I bought two Windows 7 Gateways to use as DVRs and see no reason to upgrade to Windows 8 at this point. To hedge my bets, I paid the $15 upgrade for each of the PCs and downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade for potential future use. Also obtained two free licenses for the Win 8 WMC add-on.

You can not dual boot with an upgrade. It will install as an upgrade, not as a standalone OS.

You can buy a full copy of 8 and then dual boot if you want to.

It's all a matter of preference, but I honestly haven't found anyone who prefers Win8 on a non-touchscreen laptop. It really is a pain in the butt to have everything changed as far as how you start, stop and interact with programs. If there were a major benefit to be gained it might be worth the hassle, but no one can explain what this is. I installed it on a couple machines and regret doing so. In fact, a major project for next weekend will be "downgrading" my laptop to 7.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014