Advice: Obi VS GrooveIP

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have been trying to decide to either go with Obi and a cordless phone or do GrooveIP on an android phone.

The reason I don't like Obi is the fact that I have to use a cordless phone with it. Cordless phones are extremely dated when my generation are used to Android and iOS. Every time I want to call someone I will end up using my iPhone to look up the contact and then type it into the cordless. Personally, I wold be a happy camper if I never had to touch another cordless phone! we are not in the 90s anymore!

To avoid this and the extra hardware needed for Obi, I was thinking of just using the HTC One V with Jelly Bean, running GrooveIP. This would take place of the Obi and craptastic cordless phone.

BUT, what is the reliability of GrooveIP in terms of not logging you out all the time, echoing, voice quality and so forth? has anyone tried to use an Android phone with GrooveIP instead of Obi and/or Ooma? Longterm as your primary home phone?

Reason why to even bother with GrooveIP, Ooma or Obi:
I have two iPhone 4s, one for the wife and one for myself. We both go onto unlimited in the summer due to work, and then switch back to the $12 Page Plus plan in the winter since we hardly ever use our phones. Although there are times that we need to have a long conversation with someone that would kill the 250 minutes in no time. It's not often but the option to have the conversation for longer then 5mins needs to be there at the house.

Member Summary

There are cordelss phone systems that have 100+ contacts. They also have some with bluetooth features that will pair with your cell phones for conventional calling (Obi) or cell calling. They will even sync with your contacts list in your cell phone (some with up to 4 different lists).

There are many options available that are not 90's technology.

I have not had a problem with GrooveIP or the Obi. If you are on wifi when at home, GrooveIP is great.

For incoming calls with GrooveIP you must give out your google voice number, and that is the number that will show when placing a call with GrooveIP. For this to all work correctly you would have to forward calls to the cell phone and to GrooveIP both from google voice. This makes your cell receive 2 incoming calls at the same time, one on the cell service and one on GrooveIP. The screen notification alternates so you can answer whichever one you want.

I guess I just haven't found an affordable cordless phone that has good reviews with those features! I will do some more digging...

As for GrooveIP, have you used it enough to say it's reliable in terms of call quality and receiving calls without issue? As I tried to use it on my Nook Tablet running Jelly Bean but GrooveIP would keep logging out if the tablet was left alone for to long.

If GrooveIP worked well then I would love having the HTC One V running as the home phone all the time. It would cost significantly less then having the Obi with a cordless phone.

Thanks for your help!

Update: Installed GrooveIP and it works great! I wont know 100% until the wife gets on the phone with her mother haha but it should be fine. Incoming calls and all! This is SUCH a better route then using Obi for a free home phone. Cost me about $30ish for the HTC VS $40 for Obi and $20-$30 for a cordless plus all my contacts are synced from my iphone to GrooveIP.

keaton85 said:   Update: Installed GrooveIP and it works great! I wont know 100% until the wife gets on the phone with her mother haha but it should be fine. Incoming calls and all! This is SUCH a better route then using Obi for a free home phone. Cost me about $30ish for the HTC VS $40 for Obi and $20-$30 for a cordless plus all my contacts are synced from my iphone to GrooveIP.
Obi is a better choice for me because :
Voice quality is better since it's a wired connection to the router (vs wireless connection when using GrooveIP)
Using cordless phone means one less thing you have to remember to charge (as long as you put phone back in cradle) vs charging the wifi only cellphone ever other day or something like that.

- Wired VS wireless shouldn't make any difference though as wireless G and ethernet are both way above most internet connection speeds. So the bottle neck will be the connection speed to the internet, not wireless VS ethernet.
- Both a regular home phone and cell phone are "cordless" and need to be charged. Just put the cell phone on the dock and charge it just like you would a regular cordless phone.

As for voice quality from GrooveIP to Obi, that is the real question that I don't have the answer for. Idono which one has better processing in this area.

I will try out the GrooveIP app for a while and see how it handles calls, then if it doesn't function reliably or have call quality issues, I will switch to Obi to compare.

grooveIP is a piece of crap. Inbound calls do not ring.

I've never had any incoming call issues. Are you sure you set it up correctly? As you have to make sure calls forward to google chat.

Update: After trying a lot of different ROMs, the phone is now unlocked, rooted and running x3eme sense Android 4.0. GrooveIP did not like running 4.1 Jelly Bean in all the ROMs I tried.

Anyway, in airplane mod, running GrooveIP 24/4. Has had no issues with any conversions, no matter if Netflix or downloads were going at the same time. I havnt even had to mess with any troubleshooting settings or echo settings. The only thing I had to do with check the box to make sure the screen turns off when you put the phone to your face.

So pretty much, this beats OBI hands down. I can take it anywhere I go, do email, games and receive calls to GrooveIP as well as have GV ring all my cells phones so I wont miss a call if someone has just the "home" number. Can't believe this phone works so well with the software.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014