Good replacement for Carbonite?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have used Carbonite for past 2 years and want to replace it with something else like MS Skydrive, Google Drive etc. Reason for replacement is cost, unable to take backup from external drive in lower tier and non-flexibility with some changes related to restoring.

I am leaning towards Skydrive as first 7GB is free plus MS has applications for all non Windows devices including mobile. Thoughts or experiences around this?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I use free versions of many of them including skydrive, google drive, dropbox, pogoplug, and SugarSync. Dropbox and SugarSync are probably my favorites because of the integrated apps that work well with mobile devices. Try them all and see what you like best.

Crashplan+ is cheaper than Carbonite, and allows backing up external drives. It also has some mobile apps for remote file access:
http://www.crashplan.com/

I think you are on the right track OP. Get your service from an established company like Microsoft, Google or Amazon. Every few months there is a new startup offering a great deal on backup service... then a few months later they are nowhere to be found.

Skydrive, Google drive, etc aren't true backup tools but you can replicate files to them creating redundancy. I used idrive in the past and it was good, I'm on Crashplan now and it has been fine. True backup tools save multiple versions of files, even when deleted from your PC and typically include clients that can backup in real time or do regular sweeps.

If you switch to CrashPlan from Carbonite, you can get the first year for free. See www.crashplan.com/carboniteswitcher

Mike

yeah ! crash plan offer of Carbonite is good one and its only limited for US can you suggest another if there available.

I use Duplicati and Cloudberry, both can back up to multiple cloud services. Cloudberry isn't free, but it's one of the one solutions that will back up to Amazon Glacier if you need more space.

CrashPlan is what I currently use. Although I like the Carbonite software better.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014