• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I posted last week about going from Win 8 back to Win 7 on a new Dell pc. Yes, I want to move this pc back to Win 7.

When I put the DVD in to install Win 7 over the top of Win 8 I see that the hard drive has the following partitions:

Disk 0: Partition 1:WINRETOOLS; 2.0GB; 1.3BG free; OEM (Reserved)
Disk 0: Partition 2:ESP; 500MB; 471MB free; System
Disk 0: Partition 3; 128MB; 128MB free; MSR (Reserved)
Disk 0: Partition 4: OS; 456.7GB, 433.8GB free; Primary
Disk 0: Partition 5: PBR Image; 6.5 GB; 774MB; OEM (Reserved)

In all of my years in installing XP, I never saw so many partitions. I "expected" that installing Win7 I would be given the opportunity to delete all partitions and install the o/s. Apparently this isn't the case.

Can I somehow (???) wipe the hard drive, stick the Win7 DVD in and install the o/s??? This pc has a 500GB hard drive (per the specs when I purchased it).

Thank you for your help!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It is easy. Once you boot from win7 dvd, when you get to drives and partitions...
Click on advanced and delete all of the partitions. Then just select that one available hdd with empty space and you are done.
Next step that you might have some problems with are drivers, but thats after windows is already installed.
Btw what model of Dell are we talking about ?

andeguy said:   It is easy. Once you boot from win7 dvd, when you get to drives and partitions...
Click on advanced and delete all of the partitions. Then just select that one available hdd with empty space and you are done.
Next step that you might have some problems with are drivers, but thats after windows is already installed.
Btw what model of Dell are we talking about ?


Dello Inspiron 660 Slimtower. Purchased from Dell Outlet last week for $249.

660 has drivers for 7, just get them from support site.

Some of those are repair, image restore, and utility partitions. I would not delete them unless you are absolutely sure you will never need them or will never go back to win 8.

andeguy said:   It is easy. Once you boot from win7 dvd, when you get to drives and partitions...
Click on advanced and delete all of the partitions. Then just select that one available hdd with empty space and you are done.
Next step that you might have some problems with are drivers, but thats after windows is already installed.
Btw what model of Dell are we talking about ?

Skibum43 is right - do NOT delete those extra partitons! You should only replace the files on Partition 4 "OS", the others are used for critical hard drive/system utilities, Factory Restore, etc. Don't delete that partition either - just remove the files from it and install Win 7.

skibum43 said:   Some of those are repair, image restore, and utility partitions. I would not delete them unless you are absolutely sure you will never need them or will never go back to win 8.



Too late. I already deleted everything and installed Win7.

Only one problem, I can't find the driver for the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" (as listed under Device Manager).

I downloaded every driver for the 660s that I could find on Dell's website. I even entered my service tag thinking that maybe another driver would show up. So what could this PCI Simple communications Controller be for?

jimmywalt said:   Too late. I already deleted everything and installed Win7.

Only one problem, I can't find the driver for the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" (as listed under Device Manager).

I downloaded every driver for the 660s that I could find on Dell's website. I even entered my service tag thinking that maybe another driver would show up. So what could this PCI Simple communications Controller be for?

applause all around


get the device ID and google it...might be something stupid like sound

It is usually intel's hardware like ime or something like it.
Try intel.com, support and do drivers autodetect.

Does it have a modem? That's what I usually associate with that name. And if so, do you need a modem? If not, don't bother looking for the driver.

You did create recovery DVDs before you wiped those recovery partitions, right?

minidrag said:   Does it have a modem? That's what I usually associate with that name. And if so, do you need a modem? If not, don't bother looking for the driver.

You did create recovery DVDs before you wiped those recovery partitions, right?


I thought modem too, but it doesn't have one. I'll check tomorrow once back at work for the intel.com idea. If not, I'll just skip it.... can't be too important I don't believe.

Back up DVD's... Nope. The tower came with a Win 8 restore DVD, I figured that should be good enough. I did buy 2 of the same systems (the other is still in the sealed Dell box). I can make the DVD's if you believe it's important. I can always get the drivers (if Win 8 doesn't install them all) from Dell's support website.

Thank you.

PCI Simple Communications Controller has instructions for finding drivers


jimmywalt said:   Back up DVD's... Nope. The tower came with a Win 8 restore DVD, I figured that should be good enough. I did buy 2 of the same systems (the other is still in the sealed Dell box). I can make the DVD's if you believe it's important. I can always get the drivers (if Win 8 doesn't install them all) from Dell's support website.

Thank you.
That's just Windows itself. The restore DVDs will be an image of the system as is - drivers, apps, etc... I would definitely make a set if I was you. It's a lot easier to use restore DVDs than to install the OS, find drivers and install them, then worry about any pre-installed apps you may also want back on there.

minidrag said:   jimmywalt said:   Back up DVD's... Nope. The tower came with a Win 8 restore DVD, I figured that should be good enough. I did buy 2 of the same systems (the other is still in the sealed Dell box). I can make the DVD's if you believe it's important. I can always get the drivers (if Win 8 doesn't install them all) from Dell's support website.

Thank you.
That's just Windows itself. The restore DVDs will be an image of the system as is - drivers, apps, etc... I would definitely make a set if I was you. It's a lot easier to use restore DVDs than to install the OS, find drivers and install them, then worry about any pre-installed apps you may also want back on there.


Thanks for that tip. I'll do it! (and do it every time from now on).

Thanks again!

HTN said:   Did you already try the Dell Intel Management Interface driver?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-660s?driverId=X0R8R&osCode=W764&fileId=2995871244


I'll check that when I get to work this morning. No, I didn't download that or install it yet. Didn't think it was anything.

HTN said:   Did you already try the Dell Intel Management Interface driver?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-660s?driverId=X0R8R&osCode=W764&fileId=2995871244


Downloaded iMEI_Intel_W74_A01_Setup-X0R8R_ZPE.exe (for the hard drive) and "TRIED" to install, but get the following error after it creates the directory Dell/Drivers/X0R8R

"This self extracting zip file is part of a multidisk zip file. Please insert the last disk of the set"

It's won't extract/install into the directory that it created. Help????

Edit - There also is a 2nd file offered "Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®","Chipset_Driver_X0R8R_WN_8.0.0.1262_A01.EXE for the Dell Intel Management Interface. Maybe I want this 2nd one and not the first?

skibum43 said:   PCI Simple Communications Controller has instructions for finding drivers

VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A

So the 8086 is Dell & Intel
1E3A is Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI)

Which is probably the file that I downloaded from Dell, but can't get to unzip properly, right?

jimmywalt said:   Downloaded iMEI_Intel_W74_A01_Setup-X0R8R_ZPE.exe (for the hard drive) and "TRIED" to install, but get the following error after it creates the directory Dell/Drivers/X0R8R

"This self extracting zip file is part of a multidisk zip file. Please insert the last disk of the set"

It's won't extract/install into the directory that it created. Help????

It's a self-extracting zip file, so you can just open it in a standard zip program. I use 7-Zip.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Opening it in 7-Zip, I see a folder called "Drivers," and inside that folder is a folder called "MEI". That's the folder you want to extract. Then go to device manager, right click on the "unknown device" and select "update driver," and point it to the MEI folder you just extracted.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014