Oops I did it again....

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Yes...I'm back. This time it's the laptop.

After attempting to align a partition (to 4096?) on a WD advanced format drive (taken from another system; I believe I wiped it then cloned another system onto it) win7 decided to go into a reboot loop after showing the windows thingy. XP was on a separate partition and worked okay at the time, but while trying to check the bootcfg to see if something had changed, it was reset and apparently removed. When plugged into another system via adapter, the drive showed as RAW. Booted up a win7 repair disk (did not recognize any OS) to get into recovery console, and it was able to show the dir in the windows folder.

I have no clue what went wrong or how to go about getting it back....by googling, found some suggestions for recovery options but they seemed to just be for files. Which would be pretty much useless.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

< not on-topic at all, but Britney Spears pops in my head as soon as I read the title >

KayK said:   < not on-topic at all, but Britney Spears pops in my head as soon as I read the title >

that was the joke....and just like her music now, this is a disaster

Why not just restore a backup image? You do have one don't you? You've been in this forum long enough to have heeded the advice offered many times here.

skibum43 said:   Why not just restore a backup image? You do have one don't you? You've been in this forum long enough to have heeded the advice offered many times here.

...from last month

lordoffire said:   ...from last monthAssuming you keep your data on a separate drive / partition, then you should have no trouble getting back up and running using a month-old image. Maybe you have to reinstall some programs that weren't installed a month ago, but all of your data is still there on the other drive / partition.

If you don't keep your data on a separate drive, in my humble opinion you should start doing so...

ChinaRider said:   lordoffire said:   ...from last monthAssuming you keep your data on a separate drive / partition, then you should have no trouble getting back up and running using a month-old image. Maybe you have to reinstall some programs that weren't installed a month ago, but all of your data is still there on the other drive / partition.

If you don't keep your data on a separate drive, in my humble opinion you should start doing so...

there ain't no room for two drives in a laptop

some news...got it to boot into windows again, but it's still restarting after the logo

afaik, it still shows up as raw while trying to check from another computer

I think it has to do with the whole alignment thing, but for whatever reason, I haven't found a way to align a disk that comes up as raw

lordoffire said:   there ain't no room for two drives in a laptopNo, but that's what USB drives are for.

Now that's it's booting... does the Windows 'repair' option at boot see the drive? If so can you run a System Restore point?

minidrag said:   lordoffire said:   there ain't no room for two drives in a laptopNo, but that's what USB drives are for.

Now that's it's booting... does the Windows 'repair' option at boot see the drive? If so can you run a System Restore point?

yes it sees it finally, but no the restore option doesn't work....I tried it before and it said it couldn't find any (or something to that effect)

apparently the letters may have been changed around, windows is showing up as being on E: instead of C:....that could easily be the issue

I don't know why but ubuntu and gparted aren't seeing the partitions again....may have to re-check the table again....my current plan was to try to install Acronis on ubuntu, image the disks I could find to an external drive, check them on a different system, clear the drive, then restore the images....I still have not gotten the partitions to show up when I slave the drive; which I'm guessing is at the root of the issue

if you have a suggestion to try and fix it, great

(I don't know if Acronis or a similar program is capable of imaging a "raw" disk, but I'd prefer to have a backup in case I make things worse. I can always copy XP back (it was dual boot) since I seldom used it but there was a lot of stuff on win7 I should have protected.)

lordoffire said:   there ain't no room for two drives in a laptopWhat about two partitions? Got room for that?

ChinaRider said:   lordoffire said:   there ain't no room for two drives in a laptopWhat about two partitions? Got room for that?

in this situation, that really wouldn't have made any difference since it affected the entire drive

If the drive letters are the issue you may be able to fix things by rebuilding the BCD via that link I posted before.

Do you have a USB drive? If you boot to the Windows Repair screen and go to a command prompt you said you can see your files. If a USB drive is also visible from there you should be able to manually copy your files. A pain, but better than nothing.

minidrag said:   If the drive letters are the issue you may be able to fix things by rebuilding the BCD via that link I posted before.

Do you have a USB drive? If you boot to the Windows Repair screen and go to a command prompt you said you can see your files. If a USB drive is also visible from there you should be able to manually copy your files. A pain, but better than nothing.

(I lol'd)

tried all the options there, but that still didn't do it....I was going to try and use the repair option on the XP64 partition to see if I could at least get that to boot...nada....either it just plain can't see it or the sata driver isn't playing nice

anywho...going to try to use Acronis bootable media to back up everything, then replace XP

was going to try to manually change the letters through the registry, but it still wouldn't show up in bartpe or windows...so, no go

next choice is to format and restore one at a time...will try XP first since I can actually do a repair install...or attempt to

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.