how to boot from 3TB HDD?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello,
Trying to figure this out. Just build desktop with following specs.

Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX

MSI Socket FM2/AMD A75/DDR3/SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard FM2-A75MA-E35

Loaded Win 7 64 pro on it then upgraded to win 8 64 bit pro.

MB have UEFI BIOS however I am still unable to use entire 3TB Disk space.

From win. Disk management I can see 768GB "Unallocated" space.

Any Idea how to use this?

Also on board video on this MB is giving max. of 1440 x 900 resolution even with 16GB of RAM that system can use. ! ! !
This is very low compare with my 10 Years old desktop that I am replacing.

Thanks for your help.

Member Summary

specks? really

MSI site says 1 gig shared video RAM. The resolution is what it is, you can't do anything about that. If you need more / different you'll need to get an add on card.

Is the drive using GPT?

"Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management -> find disk that you want to convert -> delete all partitions and volumes (you will lose all data on the drive) -> right click on the disk itself (to the left of where the partitions are) -> Convert to GPT Disk "

skh12 said:   specks? really

Corrected. Thanks for pointing it out....

Guess I was too tired to read what I was typing.

minidrag said:   MSI site says 1 gig shared video RAM. The resolution is what it is, you can't do anything about that. If you need more / different you'll need to get an add on card.

Is the drive using GPT?

"Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management -> find disk that you want to convert -> delete all partitions and volumes (you will lose all data on the drive) -> right click on the disk itself (to the left of where the partitions are) -> Convert to GPT Disk "

Thanks for your response. I will try to do this tonight. However what I can remember after going in disk management is this.

I see disk 0 as 2.1 TB and disk 1 as 768 GB (Unallocated). This is the volume on same disk. I have Win 8 on this disk. How can OS will let me delete the disk from within windows?

I tried earlier with Gigabyte motherboard and it seems they have a utility that you can use to format "unallocated" space from within the windows. However that mb had several other issues so I returned it and went with this MSI one.

Wait a second... are you saying that you are already using 2TB of the drive? I thought from your OP that you only saw the drive as a blank 768gig.

If you are already using 2TB of it... disk management is showing it as two different drives? Are either GPT? Can you simply right click on the 768gig and partition / format it?

No, you can't wipe it and make it GPT if you have the OS installed on it. Those steps were if, as I had thought, this was a secondary drive in your machine.

minidrag said:   Wait a second... are you saying that you are already using 2TB of the drive? I thought from your OP that you only saw the drive as a blank 768gig.

If you are already using 2TB of it... disk management is showing it as two different drives? Are either GPT? Can you simply right click on the 768gig and partition / format it?

No, you can't wipe it and make it GPT if you have the OS installed on it. Those steps were if, as I had thought, this was a secondary drive in your machine.

Yes I have OS on this internal HDD. In disk management I can see 2.1 TB disk 0 (C) and 764 GB as "Unallocated". Tried third party disk management like easeus partition manager. However the "Unallocated" disk space could not be used.

Right clicking this space in device manager, I can not select format or any other option. These are greyed out.

Can you right click on drive C in disk management and choose to extend it?

I don't think you'll be able to use anything past the 2TB line unless the drive is GPT. And there's no way that I know of to make it GPT without wiping it. You could make a drive image, wipe it and make it GPT then restore the image I suppose.

minidrag said:   I don't think you'll be able to use anything past the 2TB line unless the drive is GPT. And there's no way that I know of to make it GPT without wiping it. You could make a drive image, wipe it and make it GPT then restore the image I suppose.

Thanks for your response however, I installed sea-gate utility which allowed me to extend the unallocated space. I now have 765 GB as another drive. and using that to do a back up.

Ah, as a second drive? I thought you hadn't wanted to do that, that you wanted it all as one drive. As long as it's working for you, that's all that matters.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014