• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just bought a refurbished desktop Elite 8300 from HP -- i7 and Win7 Pro, integrated audio. The audio when playing video is fine. But the Windows' sounds -- error beeps, etc. -- are very low, even when I plug in a pair of external speakers and the volume is set to max on the PC.

My laptop's Windows sounds are much louder when connected to the same set of speakers. [The OS is WinXP Pro, if it makes a difference.]

So, why are the Windows' sounds on my "new" PC is so low? Something is not right on the motherboard? something else?

TIA

P.S. According to the specs, the chipset is Intel Q77 Express.

Member Summary

The sound is NOT low when playing videos? Just the Windows sounds are low? The sound card driver may have an equalizer of some sort allowing the volume on different types of sounds to be adjusted separately. In Control Panel look for something about sound other than the Windows one.. maybe SoundMax or something similar.

OP, go to Sounds and Audio Devices in the control panel (double click on it) and then select the SOUNDS tab. Down below you will see a drop down box with the different types of available beeps. See if its set at default for computer beep. The previous owner may have changed it. Just something to check.

OK, the Windows' sounds are fine now. I was simply repeating what I did before. Last night when I shut down the PC, it says it is installing 74 updates. Maybe one of that updates fix the sound????

It is possible that a sound driver got updated and changed some settings, sure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014