Will this memory work in this laptop?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a HP Pavilion g6-2235us laptop that has 4GB of memory. I'd like to add 4GB more.

When I look at Crucial.com website LINK they recommend one of the following for this laptop:
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 2

4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL=11 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1600 1.35V Part #: CT3674415
4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 CL=9 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1333 1.35V 512Meg x 64 Part #: CT3674401

I have a $20 ink rewards coupon from Staples so I would like to purchase the memory there vs online at Crucial.com. Will either of these sticks at Staples work? LINK or LINK or LINK

It would be nice to get it for next to free from Staples if possible.

Thank you.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Generally speaking it's a good idea for your RAM speeds to match. I would find out exactly what is in there now and get something that matches it.

Two of the links you provided are for PC3 8500 RAM and the other is PC3 10666, none of which are even listed as being compatible on Crucial, according to your post.

I'll have my hands on the laptop tomorrow. Is there a place in Win 7 where I can get the exact specs of the RAM installed, or can I just go to Crucial's site and do the memory scanner to find out?

I agree, the online manual says matched pairs are better.

If nothing else I guess I could just buy two 4GB sticks that match (and work with the laptop).

Laptop RAM is very easy to get at. Just take out the screw (or 2) holding the panel on the case and look at the label on the chip.

minidrag said:   Laptop RAM is very easy to get at. Just take out the screw (or 2) holding the panel on the case and look at the label on the chip.

Sounds good. I upgraded my wife's laptop last year and remember that they make it pretty simple to get at.

Guess I was just being lazy and didn't want to have to open the machine to look. LOL.

Thanks.

jimmywalt said:   Is there a place in Win 7 where I can get the exact specs of the RAM installedI don't think so, but there's a great program called CPU-Z that will give you the specs of each stick of RAM in your system as well as a lot of other great information about your motherboard, processor, etc. It's a must have in my opinion.

Best of all, it's a stand-alone program that doesn't require installation.

A local computer store would do 4 gigs for me for $32 & no question about if it matches.

ChinaRider said:   jimmywalt said:   Is there a place in Win 7 where I can get the exact specs of the RAM installedI don't think so, but there's a great program called CPU-Z that will give you the specs of each stick of RAM in your system as well as a lot of other great information about your motherboard, processor, etc. It's a must have in my opinion.

Best of all, it's a stand-alone program that doesn't require installation.

I have that program, but forgot about it. Thanks!

Hey Minidrag - I opened up the laptop to get to the memory. They sure make it easy on HP's, only 1 screw and a large part of the bottom slides off to expose the memory, hard drive and a couple other things.

The memory in the laptop is
A-DATA Technology AM1U16BC4P2-B19H
4GB 2RX8 PC-12800S-11
DDR3 1600 CL11

Well, that matches the first one you listed from Crucial - "4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL=11 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1600 1.35V Part #: CT3674415"
Now it's just a matter of deciding where you want to buy a matching chip from.

You can also use Ready Boost, it's very easy.

minidrag said:   Well, that matches the first one you listed from Crucial - "4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL=11 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1600 1.35V Part #: CT3674415"
Now it's just a matter of deciding where you want to buy a matching chip from.

I cant' seem to find one at Staples.com and that's where I have a $20 ink rebate from - hoping to save some money on the chip.

Guess I will just have to order from Crucial.com

Thank you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.