Windows 7 Pro and Virtual PC with WinXP

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I would like to put WinXP on the Virtual PC on my Win7 Pro PC. How do I do it?

With respect to WinXP: I have WinXP on my old desktop and my laptop. Can I use one of those copies on my Win7 PC? If yes, how? [I would probably junk my old desktop which is a Dell.] If I make a Recovery Disk from either of those 2 computers, they would have drivers that are specific to those computers. Would those drivers cause problems in booting up. [Once booted up, I should be able to replace the inappropriate drivers?]

TIA

Member Summary

Since you are running Win7 Pro, why not download the free Windows XP Mode.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC frequently asked questions

what are you trying to do? perhaps there is an easier way that isn't a PITA, i have had very good luck with compatibility mode in windows 7, all the way back to NT 4 for drivers for a PROM burner

skh12 said:   what are you trying to do? perhaps there is an easier way that isn't a PITA, i have had very good luck with compatibility mode in windows 7, all the way back to NT 4 for drivers for a PROM burner
I just want to see how Virtual PC works. Since I am coming from WinXP; and I have some pre Win98 software, I might need it.

Eventually, I also want to set up a separate Virtual PC for testing new softwares to see if I want to keep it permanently -- so that it doesn't leave useless files behind IF I don't want to keep the software. In this case, do I need to install Win7 again in that Virtual PC?

lordoffire said:   ?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Thanks for the link.

HTN said:   Since you are running Win7 Pro, why not download the free Windows XP Mode.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC frequently asked questions

Thanks for the links.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014