repair install

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
It's something I've had issues with before and am now having again....trying to get an XP install (in this case 64 edition) to recognize the disk and the installation, then giving the option to repair.

Of all the times I've tried I think I only had one copy that was worked dependably but was for 32bit.

I don't know if it's the install image, the sata driver, or nlite that is causing the issue.

Trying to get a different image atm to see if slipstreaming that one will work any better.
(I do have a valid license and the image I had should have been "good". Just got SP2 to add also....)

Any ideas? Something that worked for you?

(I thought I remembered being able to change the sata mode before to install win7 but now cannot locate it)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
current idea is to back up win7, delete the partition(s), repair XP again (it should become C:?), then restore win7 (sho... (more)

lordoffire (Feb. 14, 2013 @ 6:31p) |

What a mess! Good luck. Windows drive letter assignments often seem to make no sense. Sometimes they seem to be based... (more)

minidrag (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 6:02a) |

nLite FAQ:
http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q19

I dont have repair [R] option at install, why, and how can I get it back?
I... (more)

FunnyStuff (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 5:37a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you are in AHCI mode you will have trouble with XP unless you hit F6 at boot and have the right drivers on floppy. Or slipstream them into the install. Much easier to just change to IDE mode in BIOS. Assuming that's an option on your machine of course.

I've had very few issues with using an XP CD to run a repair install. The only time it doesn't like to work is in a case like you seem to have - the SATA controller isn't built into the image on the CD. An F6 floppy fixes that though.

minidrag said:   If you are in AHCI mode you will have trouble with XP unless you hit F6 at boot and have the right drivers on floppy. Or slipstream them into the install. Much easier to just change to IDE mode in BIOS. Assuming that's an option on your machine of course.

I've had very few issues with using an XP CD to run a repair install. The only time it doesn't like to work is in a case like you seem to have - the SATA controller isn't built into the image on the CD. An F6 floppy fixes that though.

I've tried the different bios versions available...unless there's some secret menu, there doesn't seem to be an option for it.

I don't know which driver I'm "supposed" to be using. Going to try a guide from HP to see if it can at least see the drive.

If they have XP drivers for your machine they should have something about the drive controller listed. If the site is done well it will even say boot or F6 drivers. If they expect XP to have the drivers built in they won't have anything though.

no, it didn't but I think I've found one that's working consistently....it recognizes the disk

back to the main issue...the installs seem to be completely missing the "searching for previous installations" step all together

lordoffire said:   back to the main issue...the installs seem to be completely missing the "searching for previous installations" step all together
Is the install disc you're using an OEM disc? Some of those skip over the repair install option.

marsilies said:   lordoffire said:   back to the main issue...the installs seem to be completely missing the "searching for previous installations" step all together
Is the install disc you're using an OEM disc? Some of those skip over the repair install option.

not that I'm aware of

If it isn't seeing a formatted partition it will skip that step...

minidrag said:   If it isn't seeing a formatted partition it will skip that step...

but it is seeing the partitions...and it's recognized in recovery console

I don't know if it has something to do with the edition/SP not matching but it should be the exact same copy I used to install it

I'm going to try a new install in free space, then copying the files from the non-booting xp over to the new one

Even with different versions it should check. It just shouldn't find anything and therefore not offer to repair at all, just skip right on to the next step.

....maybe it is an OEM version...I can't tell if a retail version of it actually exists

It looks like Windows XP Professional x64 Edition did not have a general retail release. It was mainly an OEM release (likely due to the limited number of drivers available for x64 at the time).

something strange just happened when I loaded an install...it actually said "looking for previous installations" but it seemed to not find any....when I selected the partition it didn't give the format options but indicated there was already an os there

When XP sees a different version (or at least what it thinks is different) that's what happens. It will let you install to an alternate folder so you don't lose the old one. But if you chose to install to the same folder it will write over the install not repair it.

right....it says you shouldn't try to install two OS's to one partition...obviously

but I checked the eula and the product thingy, I don't know what other version it could possibly be

Are you sure it's XP Pro x64, and not standard XP Pro? Or is it possibly Vista x64 or something? Maybe Server 2003?

marsilies said:   Are you sure it's XP Pro x64, and not standard XP Pro? Or is it possibly Vista x64 or something? Maybe Server 2003?

the giant x64 during boot might be a hint....

lordoffire said:   right....it says you shouldn't try to install two OS's to one partition...obviously

but I checked the eula and the product thingy, I don't know what other version it could possibly be
It is possible that something in the install on the drive is missing or corrupt so the CD you are booting from simply isn't seeing it correctly.

well...good news and bad news

I got it to repair after using bootcfg in recovery console to add XP to the thingamjig, and it booted up after

bad news...the driver letters are screwed up and things are broken....even ran it again off a cd but they're still switched around

current idea is to back up win7, delete the partition(s), repair XP again (it should become C:?), then restore win7 (should automatically be C:?) and use easybcd

What a mess! Good luck. Windows drive letter assignments often seem to make no sense. Sometimes they seem to be based on partition order, other times on the registry of the previous install. And if there happens to be a card reader in there that BIOS sees as drives you may end up with Windows on drive H or something... anyway, again, good luck!

nLite FAQ:
http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q19

I dont have repair [R] option at install, why, and how can I get it back?
In the Unattended - General page, the Unattended Mode, set to
'Prompt repair'.

If the drive letters are messed up, then it sounds more likely that the repair did not actually work. Instead, you just installed another instance of Windows onto a different partition/drive.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014