• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have an HP Pavilion g6-2235us laptop that I purchased last week. I deleted some programs and thought that maybe I messed something up so I did a "Factory Restore" off the DVD's I created on the day I got the laptop. Now my numeric keypad at the right side of the keyboard no longer works. When I try to turn on the "num lock" key nothing happens, so this portion of the keyboard is useless.

I've tried to search HP's site with no luck. Is there any chance someone here will know the trick?

When I go into control panel it says I have a standard PS/2 Keyboard but is that correct? I don't find a keyboard driver for this model on HP's site.

What's the trick to make it work. Thank you!

UPDATE - I'm trying to type numbers remotely (into a spreadsheet at work) with Teamviewer 7.0 program to get me connected to work. I can type numbers with the keys above the alpha keyboard, but not the keyboard on the right side of the laptop. Then I tested using the key pad on the right to type numbers into a Word document on the laptop and it works fine. So can I use the keypad on the right to remotely type numbers? Also, shouldn't a light be on or something when I click "Num Lock" on the keypad on the right? Finally, does it make sense that Control Panel would say I have a PS/2 keypad.

I called HP and they said that there should be a light that turns off/on when Num Lock is pressed. So did reinstalling the factory restore do something that has disabled that light? I guess the reason the laptop won't type numbers in a remote spreadsheet is the fault of Teamviewer (that's what I'm guessing).

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Keyboards typically don't need a special driver, and yes it's possible that they've connected the keyboard via PS/2 interface.

From the manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03529460.pdf
num lock key

Controls the function of the integrated numeric keypad. Press the key to alternate between the standard numeric function of an external keypad (selected the factory) and the navigational function (indicated by the directional arrows on the keys).

Even with the num lock off, the keys should still do something. Test if you can use them as directional keys (up, down, left, right, pg up, pg dwn, etc.). The Enter key should always work as an Enter, with Num Lock either off or on.

Also, I don't see in the manual any indication of a Num Lock light.

Most HPs have LEDs for caps lock and num lock. It's generally in the key or right next to it.

Open a program like Notepad and try to use the numbers. Press num lock and try again. Does anything change?

minidrag said:   Most HPs have LEDs for caps lock and num lock. It's generally in the key or right next to it.
The manual does indicate a power light, caps lock light, wireless light, mute light, and touchpad light, many of them built into keys, but doesn't mention a num lock light at all. it's weird.

The service manual states that the keyboard is part number 699497-001, which I found pics of on this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-699497-001-681800-001-699146-001-...

Can't really tell which keys have lights built in on it though.

Based on this higher res picture - http://www.wishingdeals.com/images/ebay/91/010600166_2.jpg - I would say no, it's not in the keyboard. I'd be surprised if it didn't exist somewhere, but you never know.

That manual is great - on page 13 it says Component - speakers, Description - Produce sound

It's very hard to find pics or video of the OP's laptop, since it's so new. However, I found a video of a similar laptop where you can see the keyboard in action. Init, the wifi light embedded in a key is lit, but there is no Num Lock light on:
http://youtu.be/f-M1jQ3GxGk?t=1m54s

I found a free app called TrayStatus that will put little status icons in your system tray for NumLock, CapsLock, Harddrive Activity, and a few other things that you can disable and enable. So this may be a good way to check the NumLock status if a keyboard doesn't have a light built in for it.
http://www.binaryfortress.com/TrayStatus/

minidrag said:   Based on this higher res picture - http://www.wishingdeals.com/images/ebay/91/010600166_2.jpg - I would say no, it's not in the keyboard. I'd be surprised if it didn't exist somewhere, but you never know.
Yeah, looking at it, you can clearly see the light built into the Caps Lock key. Looking closely, you can just make out the smaller lights on the mute and wifi keys. However, there doesn't appear to be any light built into the Num Lock key.

LED or no LED it should be pretty easy to figure out if the key is working or not. All we can do is wait for jimmywalt to get back to us.

OP, try THIS and see if it works for you.

"go to Ease of Access Center >>>>>> Turn on Mouse Keys and make sure it's unchecked"

Thanks everyone. Been without a computer since then. Ended taking it back and exchanging for a new one. Even though the HP tech told me for certain there is a light, the new laptop doesn't have one either. I also check the store display and it didn't either.

Sorry for barking up the wrong tree.

Now why the number pad didn't work while remotely controlling another pc..... well that's another issue. I haven't tried it with the new laptop.

Thanks again everyone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.