Where to find old camera lens part?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello everyone.

I have Canon EF 80-200mm F/2.8 L lens. It's a lens that I inherited from my grandfather who had passed away few years ago. Naturally, it has a sentimental value to me, and I would very much like to keep using it. It is built like a tank ... except for its plastic AF/MF switch.

Few days ago while I was handling it normally, the AF/MF switch literary just shattered into pieces.

Immediately, I tried contacting few places I could think of to get the replacement part. I contacted Canon (in both US and Japan) who replied that they no longer kept that part because the lens is too old. I contacted a couple of independent repair shops, but they also said they don't have the parts in stock.

The fortunate thing is that it's only the switch. If I could get a hold of the part, I could do the repair myself easily. So the next step, I think, is to try and find a broken lens for the part.

I look at eb@y to find a couple on sale, but they are working version that costs something like $800. I don't need it to be working since everything works fine on the one I have, except for the switch.

So, I am looking for ideas. Where do I look to find a broken lens that I can use for parts? Do I have any other options?

Member Summary

A little pricey for what it is but worth it if it means a lot to you. CLICK HERE

See if that one will do.. maybe not.. may be different...

Perhaps that seller can get you one. Send them a message if the one you need is different. They would be the greatest help for you since they do repairs and may have some old stock.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, it's not for the same lens. I would gladly pay that amount though ...

enterkey said:   Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, it's not for the same lens. I would gladly pay that amount though ...

Try contacting that seller though.. .they may be able to help

SlamminMOFO said:   enterkey said:   Thanks for the info.

Try contacting that seller though.. .they may be able to help

I actually did, because this seller has a part from the lens in question. It's just a different part. I got a reply, and he said he doesn't have one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014