• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Currently using Norton, and its like $33 a year..any better anti virus software out there?
Please let me know thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Android doesn't need a firewall because of app permissions. The app needs internet access permission in order to connect... (more)

marsilies (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 8:04a) |

Check out Droidwall. If an app has no business accessing the net for your purpose, you should have Droidwall block that... (more)

bonghead (Jul. 13, 2013 @ 3:14a) |

You can certainly specify whether an app has egress permission or not, since it has to request it specifically when bein... (more)

marsilies (Jul. 13, 2013 @ 10:01a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't go to third party app stores and you won't get any viruses. I can't believe you are paying for virus protection on a phone, or any device for that matter.

I recently looked into whether I should get some kind of security protection for my phone (from Norton or whatever) --

However, most of the typical internet sources (the mainstream techie websites, electronics ratings sites, etc.) said that there is little point buying anti-virus/security programs for cell phones, at least at this point in time.

They also said that tests on the cell phone anti-virus/security programs available now showed them to be pretty bad at protecting phones (they let 50% of problems through their shields during the tests, or something like that).

As the poster above said, the resources I found last month said that the best way to protect your phone is to only download apps that you trust from the main app store of your manufacturer, and to do the normal security of protecting the phone physically with pin and sim card lock (or whatever) and being really careful about using your phone with free wifi and other situations where there may be people spying on your phone activity.

Also, many users reported that the antivirus/security programs slowed down their phones and had a disproportionate drain on battery power.

I'd encourage you to read up on it - do a general online search for this kind of article.

It hasn't slowed down my phone at all. It scans every app I download, scans every website I open. And they also have the phone tracker in case u lose ur phone or somebody steals it. You also can wipe out data from ur computer and stuffs like it.

NantucketSunrise said:   I recently looked into whether I should get some kind of security protection for my phone (from Norton or whatever) --

However, most of the typical internet sources (the mainstream techie websites, electronics ratings sites, etc.) said that there is little point buying anti-virus/security programs for cell phones, at least at this point in time.

They also said that tests on the cell phone anti-virus/security programs available now showed them to be pretty bad at protecting phones (they let 50% of problems through their shields during the tests, or something like that).

As the poster above said, the resources I found last month said that the best way to protect your phone is to only download apps that you trust from the main app store of your manufacturer, and to do the normal security of protecting the phone physically with pin and sim card lock (or whatever) and being really careful about using your phone with free wifi and other situations where there may be people spying on your phone activity.

Also, many users reported that the antivirus/security programs slowed down their phones and had a disproportionate drain on battery power.

I'd encourage you to read up on it - do a general online search for this kind of article.

I am not sure how much they protect, but its just sense of security. It scans everything I do. And it also backs up all my data..
and $33 a year isn't too bad I guess.

dishdude said:   Don't go to third party app stores and you won't get any viruses. I can't believe you are paying for virus protection on a phone, or any device for that matter.

NantucketSunrise said:   

However, most of the typical internet sources (the mainstream techie websites, electronics ratings sites, etc.) said that there is little point buying anti-virus/security programs for cell phones, at least at this point in time.
Link please

Prey Anti-Theft is a free android app for locking / tracking your phone if it is lost or stolen.

Vipre is a free AV app for your android, and it's gotten pretty good reviews.

Mobile security is becoming more important. Infections are out there and they are starting to slip into unexpected places.

ellory said:   NantucketSunrise said:   

However, most of the typical internet sources (the mainstream techie websites, electronics ratings sites, etc.) said that there is little point buying anti-virus/security programs for cell phones, at least at this point in time.
Link please

I've seen it repeated many times. I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head, though.

I use the free version of Lookout mobile security

riznick said:   I've seen it repeated many times. I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head, though.Yeah, me too. But then I see articles like these and I start to get concerned.

Porn is bad for your phone

Smartphone users beware (U.S. government site)

ellory said:   NantucketSunrise said:   

However, most of the typical internet sources (the mainstream techie websites, electronics ratings sites, etc.) said that there is little point buying anti-virus/security programs for cell phones, at least at this point in time.
Link please



That's why I also wrote this in my first post:

NantucketSunrise said:    I'd encourage you to read up on it - do a general online search for this kind of article.

This topic is simple to look up on any search engine using the obvious keywords.

I like AVG Mobilation
Similar to Lookout Security.

AVG, is easy to log into their online website and make the phone (or device, we have it on our Samsung Galaxy Players) emit a "screech" so we can find it; or look to see it's GPS coordinates.

dishdude said:   Don't go to third party app stores and you won't get any viruses. I can't believe you are paying for virus protection on a phone, or any device for that matter.

Quite possibly the most ill-informed and naive statement I've seen here in a while. While I agree that most phone AV apps are marginal at best at actually preventing infections, there are PLENTY of apps on the Marketplace, Samsung Apps, Apple App Store, etc. that contain malware. Apple is probably the most closely vetted, and the times they got caught with their pants down they have stated emphatically they don't look at all the code and are more concerned with the look of the app and "maintaining the user experience" than at checking it for malware or even seeing if it functions correctly. Yes, third party app sites contain TONS of malware. However, the mainstream sites are far from "safe". In general, don't download anything that hasn't been closely vetted by the community or comes from a trusted company. I've used a couple free AV products and none of them blew me away. Tests that I've seen from places within the industry have shown that they all basically suck at actually detecting malware or preventing infection. If you buy a product, choose it for the other features like backup and restore, etc.

I back up my data all the time...and I am kind of person who likes to be safe than sorry...

For those of you who have been thinking the Google Play store is safe... it's time to think again.

Android Malware downloaded millions of times

I've been using AVAST. Haven't had any problems since November................

Any good free firewall? I'm concerned some apps (even the legit ones) will collect your personal info and dial home without your permission.

skibum43 said:   I use the free version of Lookout mobile security

I use this too. Scans everything, maybe useless, but its free. Plus if someone tries to unlock my phone and guesses wrong on my password 3 times, it quietly takes a picture of them and emails it to me, along with the phone's current location.

Yeah, The Google play store is the wild west. If you know what you are getting and who you are getting it from, then it's pretty safe. Otherwise, beware.

I tend to blindly trust the Amazon Appstore.

using AVAST!it very good.

I use Avast and like it and the advanced features for rooted phone. I've use Lookout, AVG and Comodo and all seen to work well and all are free. It's a matter of taste. Just make sure you have enough RAM (1 gig or more) or it will bog down the phone. I haven't noticed a drain on the battery but I only download apps every few weeks.

And yes you can pick up malware from Google Play Store.


AVG is so better compare to other security

LongDongSilver said:   Any good free firewall? I'm concerned some apps (even the legit ones) will collect your personal info and dial home without your permission.
Android doesn't need a firewall because of app permissions. The app needs internet access permission in order to connect out to the internet (I don't think there's a way for an app to open a port to allow connections coming in, and data harvesting apps wouldn't work this way anyway). If it has internet access, it still needs separate permissions to view your contacts, location, etc. So just look at the app permissions before installing.

Third-party firmware Cyanogenmod is developing an "incognito mode" for apps that would block their access to certain data, even if the app has requested permission during install:
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=15092
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-cyanogenmods-founder-...

marsilies said:   
Android doesn't need a firewall because of app permissions.

Nonsense. App permissions is a different control entirely. You cannot specify egress firewall permissions with app permissions. And with app permissions, you cannot even select which permissions you give the app. E.g. If an app is coded to require network use, and it's an app that should not need Internet to function, it's an all-or-nothing option.. take it or leave it.

LongDongSilver said:   Any good free firewall? I'm concerned some apps (even the legit ones) will collect your personal info and dial home without your permission.

Check out Droidwall. If an app has no business accessing the net for your purpose, you should have Droidwall block that app from accessing the net, entirely. Or if the app must access the net, but you want to block it from phoning home, Droidwall supports custom iptables rules so you can have full granular control.

bonghead said:   Check out Droidwall.
Note that Droidwall, and pretty much every other Android firewall, is going to require root access, which may void the warranty on your device.

bonghead said:   App permissions is a different control entirely. You cannot specify egress firewall permissions with app permissions.
You can certainly specify whether an app has egress permission or not, since it has to request it specifically when being installed. If it doesn't ask for it, it can't have it. As for other specificity, are you referring to ports? Because an app could tunnel any type of traffic through any port, so limiting ports isn't really a viable security move.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014