• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've spent a lot of time trying to find work-arounds via Google to get eBay to work with Windows 8, but I'm not having any luck.

IE 10 loads the main page and you can search, but once you pick an item to see it just tries to load and never goes anywhere.
The Win 8 App for eBay does the same after it shoots you over to "IE 10".

I installed Firefox and have the exact same problem as IE10.

I suppose I could try another browser like Chrome, but I really don't need a bunch of browsers installed on my laptop.

Is there a hidden secret to get IE 10 to work with eBay?

Thank you.

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE LAST POST.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Another bug in IE10. ASP.Net sometimes crashes on ImageButton clicks from IE10 when the ImageButton sits in an UpdatePa... (more)

riznick (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 1:04p) |

In order to play games such as Spades on MSN Games in IE10? http://games.msn.com

You need IE for many of the games. Oh ... (more)

riznick (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 3:38p) |

Alignment problems in IE10? Styles inherit a little differently in IE10 than they did in IE9 or in Firefox or Chrome. ... (more)

riznick (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 3:42p) |

NM

Have you tried from the Desktop instead of from the Metro Start screen?

minidrag said:   Have you tried from the Desktop instead of from the Metro Start screen?

Yes that's where I spend 99% of my time (desktop). I even tried Chrome & Firefox. All have the same issues. I can get eBay to load, I can search an item "ex. RC Helicopter" they all display, but when I click to go to an actual listing it just hangs. IE10, Chrome & Firefox (both downloaded today so they are the most recent versions).

I was thinking it might be my Avast Free antivirus, etc so I disabled, closed the browsers, open them and tried again. Same results. So I ruled out Avast.

My only other thought is to disable the windows firewall for a couple seconds and try that, but I REALLY don't want to do that even for a couple seconds. It makes me nervous.

So is this a flaw with Windows 8? If so I would have thought Googling it I would have found thousands of results. Now wondering if it's an HP issue somehow?

PS. All Windows updates and HP updates have been installed (I just tried to update again and both said there is nothing new).

What do you think?

I would bet it is something on your PC, but I really doubt it's the Windows Firewall.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if it works from there. My guess is you have something, maybe a part of Avast that didn't turn off, maybe something else, that's messing with your browsers. Hopefully in Safe Mode with Networking it won't load. It's worth a shot, anyway.

minidrag said:   I would bet it is something on your PC, but I really doubt it's the Windows Firewall.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if it works from there. My guess is you have something, maybe a part of Avast that didn't turn off, maybe something else, that's messing with your browsers. Hopefully in Safe Mode with Networking it won't load. It's worth a shot, anyway.

What's the trick for booting in safe mode? I don't think the F8 trick works for Windows 8.

Your machine is booting, so the easiest way is to run MSCONFIG then go to the Boot tab and select Safe Boot - make sure Network is selected or you won't have Internet access.

Here's a link with how to Start Safe Mode - Windows 8 for future reference.

minidrag said:   Here's a link with how to Start Safe Mode - Windows 8 for future reference.

Thanks for that link. Networking didn't start like it should have (I used the windows-r msconfig option). I booted in safe mode, turned on the network and then went to eBay.......... and it works now.

So what are your thoughts? How in the world can I tell what is hanging it up when I don't boot in safe mode?

Thank you "Doctor"

Process 1 (190.50kB)
Disclaimer

Process 2 (187.76kB)
Disclaimer
Here are the processes that are running. Sorry I had to print-screen into Paint and then save as a jpeg image.

Start up (103.49kB)
Disclaimer
Here are the start up programs

Another thought....... I don't think the problem is Avast, because on the other laptop that I exchanged for this one (exact same laptop make/model) I had AVG anti-virus and had the same issues with eBay hanging.

Thanks for all your help!

1. Open Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. If you don't see the tab click More Details at the bottom of the Task Manager window.
2. Start with the Apps section and close one of the processes.
3. Check to see if IE10 works with eBay.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until there are no more Apps to close.
5. Start closing processes one by one in the Background processes section checking each time to see if IE10 works on eBay.

Alternatively, first you can close as many Apps and Background processes as you can and then see if IE10 works on eBay just to see if it solves your problem. If it does then do the steps above to suss out which process is the troublemaker.

Or, run MSCONFIG again and go to SERVICES, select non-MS only, then turn them all off. Go to Startup, turn them all off. Reboot. Does it work? If so, start turning them back on until you find the culprit.

killme2 said:   1. Open Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. If you don't see the tab click More Details at the bottom of the Task Manager window.
2. Start with the Apps section and close one of the processes.
3. Check to see if IE10 works with eBay.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until there are no more Apps to close.
5. Start closing processes one by one in the Background processes section checking each time to see if IE10 works on eBay.

Alternatively, first you can close as many Apps and Background processes as you can and then see if IE10 works on eBay just to see if it solves your problem. If it does then do the steps above to suss out which process is the troublemaker.

Nope. No cigar....

minidrag said:   Or, run MSCONFIG again and go to SERVICES, select non-MS only, then turn them all off. Go to Startup, turn them all off. Reboot. Does it work? If so, start turning them back on until you find the culprit.

Nope. Didn't work in IE10 or Chrome with all of them off.

It's got to be this terrible Windows 8. I'm thinking of ditching it and going back to Windows 7. I mean, what's so great about Win 8? I don't care for any of the tiles "apps". They have no use to me.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for all your help.

Windows 8 is the current version, like it or not. Updates, patches, etc... will eventually stop for older versions. That's the way it is.

Is all non MS Services and all Startup items were off and it still hung up... that leaves an MS service. That's pretty weird though. Did you happen to double check - go back to MSCONFIG - to make sure all non MS services really were off?

Updates, patches, etc... won't stop until at least 2020 so there's plenty of time to continue using Windows 7. Windows lifecycle

minidrag said:   Windows 8 is the current version, like it or not. Updates, patches, etc... will eventually stop for older versions. That's the way it is.

Is all non MS Services and all Startup items were off and it still hung up... that leaves an MS service. That's pretty weird though. Did you happen to double check - go back to MSCONFIG - to make sure all non MS services really were off?

Yes I tried all of that, even tried it all again after reading your post. Same problem. I even uninstalled my AVAST anti-virus and quickly tried it again. Yes, I even went back and double checked in MSCONFIG to make sure that all non MS services were actually off.

Seems eBay isn't the only website that I find this problem. My health insurance is with Priority Health and I get the same thing on their site..... I can get to the main page, but clicking ANY link (on eBay or PH) just get's me no where. I even tried all 3 browsers (IE10, Chrome & Firefox) same thing happens.

Almost feels like it has to be a microsoft issue, but then how am I the only one with the problem? Yet all 3 browsers work in Safe Mode.

Do you think if I uninstall the eBay app (if that's even possible) my issue will be resolved - at least with the eBay site?

Get this............ I was reading online that an ip address could possibly cause the problem I was having. So I decided to use a proxy (hide my @ss.com) and eBay will work fine.

So what in the heck does that mean now?????

.... and the plot thickens!

That is extremely strange because your IP would not have been changed in Safe Mode. My only guess is that the proxy site you were using also does some filtering that is blocking something and whatever that something is, is the cause of the trouble you are having.

minidrag said:   That is extremely strange because your IP would not have been changed in Safe Mode. My only guess is that the proxy site you were using also does some filtering that is blocking something and whatever that something is, is the cause of the trouble you are having.

Is it possible at all that it's a HP thing mixed with a Microsoft thing? There are so many Microsoft processes running that it would take forever to stop each one and try again, over and over to figure out if it was one of them.

Terrible if I have to ditch Windows 8 because of this (not that I really care for it anyway).

Yes, it is possible that it's some pre-installed HP thing that is causing the issue, though turning everything off in MSCONFIG should have stopped all of those.

Going back to the idea that maybe something is being blocked though... Have you tried adding AdBlock Plus to Firefox or Chrome? I wonder if that would help any.

Minidrag thanks for sticking with me through this.

I brought my laptop to my office (I've been using it at home with my problems). I flushed the DNS and then opened IE10, went to eBay and it works PERFECTLY. Also I connected to a CAT5e connection at the office (and use wireless at home).

So why in the world would I be having problems only at home. My ip address assigned by my isp? This is crazy.

But at least I know it's not my laptop that has the problem.

Side note - Other computers at home (laptop) with Win XP using wireless on eBay don't have any problems either.

Thanks again.

jimmywalt said:   Minidrag thanks for sticking with me through this.

I flushed the DNS and then opened IE10, went to eBay and it works PERFECTLY.

Bingo! Corrupted DNS Cache. Bet if you bring it back home then it is fine

ellory said:   jimmywalt said:   Minidrag thanks for sticking with me through this.

Really? But I flushed the DNS at home as well and it still didn't work.

I'll check it out tonight after work. I pray that you are right and this fix is permanent!

jimmywalt said:   ellory said:   jimmywalt said:   Minidrag thanks for sticking with me through this.

Really? But I flushed the DNS at home as well and it still didn't work.

I'll check it out tonight after work. I pray that you are right and this fix is permanent!
Then I could be wrong

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At home the Comcast coax line goes into the Motorola modem. A Cat5e goes from the modem to a Sprint Airrave (cell phone antenna), then a Cat5e goes to my router.

When I take the Airrave out of the mix and just use the modem to the router, eBay works fine.

So instead of connecting it Modem - Airave - Router as Sprint suggests. I changed it to Modem - Router - Airave and it works fine! I gave the Airave a static IP address using the airave's MAC address, then I set up UDP ports 5060 and 5061 to be forwarded to the Airave.

Everything is working now - Knock on wood.

Thank you guys for all your help!

I have windows 7 .... having problems

I am not picking up what youre putting down... all I know is that it was all good ten minutes ago and now its all screwed up! LOL what you guys are saying is greek to me.. I have NO Idea what to do... its all in the router?

jimmywalt said:   FI gave the Airave a static IP address using the airave's MAC address, then I set up UDP ports 5060 and 5061 to be forwarded to the Airave.
Look at you! Can you imagine typing that 5 years ago?

ellory said:   jimmywalt said:   FI gave the Airave a static IP address using the airave's MAC address, then I set up UDP ports 5060 and 5061 to be forwarded to the Airave.
Look at you! Can you imagine typing that 5 years ago?

Yeah your right Ellroy. That's funny! No I can't imagine it!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that. Honestly, I am quite disappointed with how Windows8 behave lately. I wonder if they will create changes with it. So frustrating!

I've been finding tons of problems with IE10 not working properly on websites. Here's the latest issue I've found.

In past versions of IE, to change the opacity of an element, you needed to use ".filters.alpha.opacity" I'm not sure when this was no longer necessary, but it worked up until IE10. When IE10 sees "filters.alpha.opacity" it stops processing javascript. If a page is heavy in javascript, it wont act as intended.

Basically, this fix for older versions of IE is now causing IE10 to fail.

Compatibility mode fixes this, but why should we bother with that hassle. IE10 will probably push even more people away from IE. There are many microsoft webpages that don't even work with IE10. BTW, I now officially hate IE10.

Another bug in IE10 having to do with the onbeforeunload event/function. When null is passed to it, it shouldn't fire. In IE10, it does.

This causes alerts like "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" when it wasn't intended.

Another bug in IE10. ASP.Net sometimes crashes on ImageButton clicks from IE10 when the ImageButton sits in an UpdatePanel.

There is an ASP.Net IIS hotfix for it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2783767
Since the hotfix was never rolled out, there's high odds that most webmasters haven't installed it. There's no download link available to the public.

Edit: Microsoft is not ready to release it to the public yet as it is still testing for other bugs in the patch. I was able to obtain the hotfix from microsoft. The hotfix does fix the problem.

Hopefully people can find this page when looking for answers on Google. I am finding more and more issues with IE10.

In order to play games such as Spades on MSN Games in IE10? http://games.msn.com

You need IE for many of the games. Oh but not really in IE10. Yes, this Microsoft site apparently is only for people using old versions of IE and nothing else.

There is a way to get them to work in IE10. Turn on compatibility mode. Of course, the game windows often open in popup's where there is no compatibility mode option. Turn on compatibility mode before the popup opens.

Alignment problems in IE10? Styles inherit a little differently in IE10 than they did in IE9 or in Firefox or Chrome. Turn compatibility mode on to fix this. (or better yet, use a different browser so you don't have to hassle with that crap)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014