• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm using XP and have 2 x 2TB external HDDs:

Drive 1: Volume E (1TB) + Volume F (1TB)
Drive 2: Volume G (2TB)

What's the best way to clone the two drives into 1 x 4TB external HDD over USB 2.0? Basically, volumes E, F and G into the 4TB HDD without merging them. I have Acronis True Image Home, Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 and Norton Partition Magic 8 software handy.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If partition Magic sees the external drives correctly I'd use it. Just copy E to drive 3, letting it create a 1 gig partition. When done copy F to the blank space on the drive 3, letting it make a new partition for it and finally do the same with G.

minidrag said:   If partition Magic sees the external drives correctly I'd use it. Just copy E to drive 3, letting it create a 1 gig partition. When done copy F to the blank space on the drive 3, letting it make a new partition for it and finally do the same with G.

When you say "copy E to drive 3", do you mean using Partition Magic's "copy a partition" command or just copy and paste with XP?

I meant all of that to be in partition magic. Copy each partition, one at a time, to the blank space (which will, of course, shrink after each copy) on the new drive.

Partition Magic 8 is probably too old and doesn't see the new 4TB drive. I'm using EaseUS Master Partition Home Edition as a result. It keeps saying the destination disk's sector size is not identical with the source disk and won't let me copy the partition. Any suggestion?

Is the destination blank? Are you trying to copy a partition or the entire drive? That kind of error usually comes up when you do a drive copy which is not what you want.

Yes, the drive is blank. I just formatted it. I'm trying to copy the Volume E partition to the new drive to test the water.

You can't copy partitions to a formatted drive. It needs to not have any partitions on it for the partitioning software to work correctly.

partition
Disclaimer
I unpartitioned the new drive but still get stuck. Any suggestion? I'm trying to copy Disk 3 and 4 into Disk 2.

On the left the only option I see is copy disk. Is there a copy partition option hiding somewhere? That's what you need to use.

Drive 2 is MBR and seems to still have a logical partition. I'm not sure if that's just the way it shows empty drives or if there actually is a logical partition you need to delete as well. Also, if you want to make use of the space above 2TB, you should reinitialize the disk as GPT. Otherwise, you'll have to have the last partition start at just below 2TB and waste a bit of the space at the end.

Are you selecting the disk or partitions when attempting to copy? I don't think it will give you the copy partition option when you select the disk rather than the partition.

KuoH

LongDongSilver said:   I unpartitioned the new drive but still get stuck. Any suggestion? I'm trying to copy Disk 3 and 4 into Disk 2.

I got stuck at not seeing the copy partition option and didn't notice those two things. KuoH is certainly correct - make the drive GPT if you want to use all of it.

minidrag said:   On the left the only option I see is copy disk. Is there a copy partition option hiding somewhere? That's what you need to use.

Copy partition is what I've been using all along and ran into problems.

I'm running XP 32-bit and AFAIK it's not compatible with GPT. Does it mean the drive is too big for the OS?

Yes, but you can try GPT Loader or GPT Mounter. It will allow XP to access GPT volumes for data storage, but not to boot from. However, to copy an MBR partition to GPT on the fly might require more advanced software than what you're using now. You might be better off using a utility like Vice Versa to copy the files after the new GPT volume has been mounted.

KuoH

LongDongSilver said:   I'm running XP 32-bit and AFAIK it's not compatible with GPT. Does it mean the drive is too big for the OS?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.