backup tools

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
What software do you prefer for making backups?

I have used Acronis almost exclusively, however while trying to reinstall it the computer decided to BSOD and it caused an issue with .net framework or something...have yet to resolve it.

Anywho, been thinking of trying an alternative. Got a copy of Laplink when it was free and it seems to work well, but I cannot find a way to get a copy of the bootable media builder thingy in order to restore on boot. If anyone has a copy or a mirror??

Have not really tried Macrium...Easeus is a possibility.

Member Summary

For disk imaging, I use Acronis. Specifically, I use an Acronis boot CD to create and restore images. No installation necessary.

For data backup, I use Windows Backup as a scheduled task, running it every week to copy files from one machine to the drive of another machine.

For off-site backup, I use spare hard drives and do it manually. I plug the drives in and just copy / paste everything I want and then take them off-site again.

I use Acronis boot CD as well. Haven't seen anything that works any better, what do you wish it did that it doesn't?

drodge said:   I use Acronis boot CD as well. Haven't seen anything that works any better, what do you wish it did that it doesn't?

It was being a **** when trying to install an older version....and the new version is not as good.

Not sure I understand - if you're using the boot CD there's nothing to install...

ChinaRider said:   Not sure I understand - if you're using the boot CD there's nothing to install...

I've used it to restore....but I'm usually letting it run in the background so I can still use the computer.

I use Symantec System Recovery. Creates full drive images (and incrementals) on schedule - I have it set to make a master once a month and an incremental every night. Bootable CD for recovery.

For just an occasional backup, if I didn't already have this... I'd use the backup built into Windows 7. It will make a full drive image that you can then restore after booting from a Windows 7 DVD.

minidrag said:   It will make a full drive image that you can then restore after booting from a Windows 7 DVD.

that's one problem....as with the issues I just had, I needed to only do one at a time in order to get the drive letter issues worked out

lordoffire said:   minidrag said:   It will make a full drive image that you can then restore after booting from a Windows 7 DVD.

that's one problem....as with the issues I just had, I needed to only do one at a time in order to get the drive letter issues worked out
I don't understand what you meant by this... Needed to only do one what at a time?

minidrag said:   lordoffire said:   minidrag said:   It will make a full drive image that you can then restore after booting from a Windows 7 DVD.

I don't understand what you meant by this... Needed to only do one what at a time?

restore one partition at a time

I've never looked at a Windows backup of multiple drive partitions. I've got no idea how it is handled. I know that the program I use makes on backup file set per partition so it's easy to restore just one. I would guess that the Windows program does the same.

I made one with macrium...at least that's something.

I use EaseUS Todo Backup Advancer Server. Flawless performance.

I'm confused as to why you are installing Acronis as well. Boot from the CD, make an image, that's it. When you need to reinstall, just boot from CD again and restore the image. I don't install anything.

drodge said:   I'm confused as to why you are installing Acronis as well. Boot from the CD, make an image, that's it. When you need to reinstall, just boot from CD again and restore the image. I don't install anything.

there's a lot more stuff you can do from within windows....like mounting

drodge said:   Boot from the CD, make an image, that's it.That's fine if you don't want to backup very often and don't mind your PC being down while you backup.

--edit - have you tested an image restore lately? Older versions of backup imaging programs don't work correctly with the newer versions of Windows due to changes in the BCD setup. I found that out the hard way back when 7 first came out.

EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server & even their Todo Backup FREE have have image verify functionalities. Very useful.

Verification that the image itself is a good copy is a nice feature, yes. It wouldn't mean anything to the situation I was referring to though, where the image is fine, the problem is that it's just not completely compatible with the new Windows. But, without a doubt, verifying your data is a very good thing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014