• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've been using Windows 8 for about a week and I'm still on the fence if I love it or hate it.... but I'm leaning toward "hate". I have a laptop.

Why they couldn't have a start button to make it easy to find all the stuff we were use to since Windows XP is crazy.

I also hate how the "charms" along the right side keep popping up even when I don't go to a corner of the screen! It's a PIA.

The default program to open PDF files stinks too IMHO. Then try to print from it is another PIA.... that's when it actually prints!

No "shut down" button without 4 different clicks, that's until you find the shortcut to make your own shutdown and pin it to the task bar (with the help of Google).

I'm almost thinking about installing Win 7 on my new laptop and ditching Win 8.

So do you love it or hate it, and why????

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Maybe you should take a look at this - Banish Metro

It's crap. Pure unadulterated crap.

For phones, sure...for real computing, no.
Most of the articles from people who know what they're talking about are saying the same thing.

minidrag said:   Maybe you should take a look at this - Banish Metro

Thanks for that! I read it and implemented some of the authors suggestions!

Microsoft updates have always been a PITA, they move/rename stuff for no apparent reason, and windows has never been intuitive, no version ever.

windows has never really been a consumer product, perhaps 8 is the first attempt but i think the company has the wrong culture, 8 will be crammed down everyone's throat via OEM's

guy's like mindrag will be forced to service it to make a living, and that's all we really do with new windows versions is learn to live with it, i can't think of one roll out that i thought"oh that makes sense"

on the other hand the MAC os has always been a consumer product and very intuitive.

i don't think the surface tablet or the windows phone will be a success, because there are other company's that are interested in the users experience, and i have never gotten that feeling from microsoft

It's for touchscreen computers.

If you push F1 you should get a manual right?

I absolutely Hate it .. After windows 95 98 98se windows 2000 Me windows Windows XP windows vista / seven they all are very easy to navigate .. This program I need to google to find control panel .. Google to find desktop .. etc etc ...

I Hate IT

I upgraded my home PC about two months ago, and at first I restored the Start button by one then another free application.

Then I dumped them - interacted weirdly (basically unpolished) and went back to the Modern interface. Figured out that I only go to the new UI when I need to start a program - that screen becomes a graphic-driven start screen (rather than a button).

The file explorer is much faster, much 'smarter' (i.e. problematic "I have a prompt to send you about this file b/c of xxx" files are grouped toward the very end of a copy/move operation), and gives a great little throughput indicator in-process. Of course there are file explorer replacements, but as a built-in faculty, it's great.

Another item that I haven't played with much yet is the Drive Expander function - using several additional HD's of different sizes, for RAID-like redundancy, again a built-in faculty.

A third item is speed. Boot speed with an SSD is noticeably quicker, by some 20-25% in my case.

One other is that search is much better IMO.

Getting a one-click Shutdown is easy enough (it is pinned to my taskbar), other than getting used to the Modern UI for starting programs I'm good. FWIW it is the future of interface design...

I don't have windows 8, but I do have Windows Server 2012. I HATE it. I can't stand it. It's horrible. In fact, I wont be upgrading any of the 2008R2 servers to 2012.

It might be a better interface for tablets, I'll decide when I get a windows tablet.

One of the worst trends is companies destroying their user friendly interfaces to make tablet friendly interfaces. The bulk of the users get punished to benefit a few.

Agreed - the changes in the 2012 interface are just plain nuts. Especially if you're trying to RDP into the damn thing.

minidrag said:   Agreed - the changes in the 2012 interface are just plain nuts. Especially if you're trying to RDP into the damn thing.
Maybe they expect you'll be RDPing into it from a tablet?

marsilies said:   minidrag said:   Agreed - the changes in the 2012 interface are just plain nuts. Especially if you're trying to RDP into the damn thing.
Maybe they expect you'll be RDPing into it from a tablet?
I have to wonder if that would be worse... corners would want to open stuff on the tablet and on the remote machine

My wife got a new laptop. That was my first exposure to Win8. Once I installed classic shell and got the login to skip the new interface it was mostly familiar. Other than that I just can't imagine pushing this out corporate wide. I'm sure "it is the future of interface design" and all that but I have no desire sitting around explaining to people all day why their desktop changed. I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't have left in a classic shell setting.

To answer your question I would lean more to hate it.

it is not the future, and whoever is doing their strategic planning is a moron...

as if businesses would spend the money to buy completely new OSs and retrain people when the current standard (and even the previous) is still clearly superior

lordoffire said:   as if businesses would spend the money to buy completely new OSs and retrain people when the current standard (and even the previous) is still clearly superior
Microsoft doesn't make that much money on upgrades, they make the bulk of their Windows money on licenses attached to new hardware. By making the Metro interface primary and manditory out-of-the-box it pressures manufacturers to build machines that utilize the touch interface. This time last year barely any laptops and only a few all-in-one desktops had touch capabilites. Now touch-screen laptops are available in every store, with a lot of ones "convertable" to a tablet form. It allows Microsoft to compete in the tablet marketplace by leveraging their dominance in the PC marketplace. It makes business sense, but it does screw over the end user who doesn't want (or have) a touch interface.

marsilies said:   lordoffire said:   as if businesses would spend the money to buy completely new OSs and retrain people when the current standard (and even the previous) is still clearly superior
Microsoft doesn't make that much money on upgrades, they make the bulk of their Windows money on licenses attached to new hardware. By making the Metro interface primary and manditory out-of-the-box it pressures manufacturers to build machines that utilize the touch interface. This time last year barely any laptops and only a few all-in-one desktops had touch capabilites. Now touch-screen laptops are available in every store, with a lot of ones "convertable" to a tablet form. It allows Microsoft to compete in the tablet marketplace by leveraging their dominance in the PC marketplace. It makes business sense, but it does screw over the end user who doesn't want (or have) a touch interface.

And for those of us who sit behind a computer 8 hours a day for our job, we don't give a rats butt about touch screen. We need all the keys on a keyboard to do our jobs. I would think that there are more computers in "businesses" than there are tables in "homes". MS needs to cater to the business user while at the same time cater to the home user.

I had a Kindle Fire tablet for about 13 days and tried it out but HATED it! I couldn't wait to get it back to the store to return it!!! I bet the tablet is a fad just like the netbook that came and went. When the large Ipad first came out I saw lots of people with them, but now see hardly any at all.

It needs to be usable and if a person can't close the top on a laptop, or think it's just too large, I think that's crazy.

Unless you're using a tablet, touch screens just don't work. Who wants to have to reach over to the desk top monitor, or even the screen on a laptop to select things? Especially a laptop, you have to position the screen just right, and then the keyboard is out of whack. Just doesn't work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014