• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

regedit
Disclaimer
I've tried a few registry tweaks I found online. Even rebooted my laptop after saving them, but the gosh darn (those aren't really the words I'm thinking) stupid charms bar along the right side and the big date/time box on the left lower side show up ALL the freaking time when I'm moving my finger on the touch pad.

I want to get rid of this FOREVER. Yes FOREVER! It is a total PIA.

Most online tweaks I found look something like this AND THEY DO NOT WORK ON MY MACHINE - I've attached a copy of the entries I did to my registry.

Does anyone know of a REAL fix while still keeping Windows 8?

After applying these tweaks, the Edge UI panels will not appear when you move your mouse to the top left / top right corners. This does not mean that Switcher and Charms Bar will be completely disabled. You will still be able to show them using keyboard shortcuts.

How to disable the Edge UI panels aka Charms Bar and Switcher in Windows 8
1.Open Registry Editor (press Win+R, type regedit.exe in Run dialog and press Enter) and go to key
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionImmersiveShell

2.Create here a new key “EdgeUI“.

3.Select the EdgeUI key in the left pane and create two new DWORD values in the right pane of Registry Editor.
•DisableTLcorner – stands for “Disable Top-Left corner”. Set it to 1, and Switcher will not appear when you move your mouse to the top-left corner of the screen. Note that it will still appear if you move the pointer to the bottom-left corner and then move it upwards along the left edge of the screen.

•DisableCharmsHint – Set it to 1 to disable the Charms bar when using the mouse. It will not appear when you move the pointer to the top-right or bottom-rights corners. But as above, if you move the pointer to the top-right corner and then move it down along the right edge of the screen (or from the bottom-right corner up to the screen center along the right edge), it’ll appear again.
So, both settings prevent the Edge UI panels from appearing accidentally. They will take effect immediately - you do not need to restart Windows Explorer or log off. You will still be able to show them when you actually want to use them.

If you want to enable the default behavior of Switcher, simply set DisableTLcorner value to 0 or delete it. Same goes for DisableCharmsHint
value – set it to 0 or delete it to enable the Charms Bar popup.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What is the date of the articles? Is it after or before Win8's release date? Many of those workaround articles written before the relase date are obsolete. I was under the impression that you were using Classic Shell. If so, then I believe there is a checkbox in the options to disable it though I cannot remember if this only applies on the desktop side.

screen shot classic shell
Disclaimer
download / install classic shell / classic start (as mention prev). it will give you the option for the standard start menu if you want. the charms are disabled.
<a non stressful solution to your prob>
see screen shot.
you are welcome.

Classic shell is the best! Gets you back to a Win 7 type interface, but you still retain the speed of Win 8. I love Win 8 now.

Classic shell just disables the corner hints hotspots, same as the registry edit that the OP posted. It DOES NOT completely remove the charms menu. I know removing the hints helps most people but the charms menu keeps popping up when I move my finger from right to left from off the trackpad to onto it. I have classic shell and have disabled everything to do with the charms menu in it, and it has worked as the menu doesn't pop up when I move the cursor to the corners. This is the one thing that is annoying me about Win8.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Touchpad ... and turn off Gestures.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014