Recomendation: DVD recorder

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Wife wants to record some TV shows. Have cablevision, but no cable box. Would appreciate recommendations on recording TV shows either to a HDD with a digital TV tuner or a DVD recorder with a digital TV tuner or a unit that maybe has both an internal HDD and a DVD burner? Sincerely appreciate recommendations.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Magnavox MDR537H/f7 is the best non-subscription option out there other than Tivo, which requires subscription fees. Everything you want to know about it ( and previous models) can be found at AVSforums. I have two of the earlier models.

What kind of cable channels: analog, unecrypted digital, or encrypted digital? When everything was analog, you could just get something with a ntsc tuner. If it is just locals, then maybe all you need is a device that has a qam tuner for unencrypted digital channels. Nowadays though, what you probably need is something for encrypted digital channels which means whatever solution must support cablecard.

Many thanks. I plan to go with the 1 TB Magnavox MDR537H/f7. I appreciate all of the posts.

busnut said:   Many thanks. I plan to go with the 1 TB Magnavox MDR537H/f7. I appreciate all of the posts.I have several of the previous versions of the Magnavox units. As skibum43 pointed out, the BEST info on the topic can be found on AVS. Be prepared to receive *ONLY* Clear QAM channels and have to re-scan on a regular basis as your provider 'possibly' randomly moves the channels (PSIP Data) around.

Price shouldn't be the only factor. IMHO, for most folks looking to record from cable WITHOUT a monthly fee DVR, Tivo is the best / simplest route; HTPC second.

Good Luck with your decision!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014