Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

About my Mac
Disclaimer

Current Activity Monitor
Disclaimer
I was trying to watch some videos on youTube and Cnn.com/video tonight. In all cases the video is EXTREMELY choppy. This has been going on for quite awhile now and this is not an isolated case. The Audio is perfectly fine but the video often lags. Is there anything I can to do correct this or is my machine just too old? I've attached a few screen shots from my mac...

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Try installing vlc and then go to file->open->online source and paste the youtube url.
Is the video choppy with vlc too?

what about local video? something you have stored vs. streaming just to eliminate band width issue on your side or remote

And I thought they 'just worked'.

(sorry, I had to say it, a Mac-loving neighbor was just thrashing me because we're having a hard time getting a 10-year old PC of his to work properly)

ChinaRider said:   And I thought they 'just worked'.

(sorry, I had to say it, a Mac-loving neighbor was just thrashing me because we're having a hard time getting a 10-year old PC of his to work properly)
I had the same thought

Speed Test
Disclaimer
Its totally fine on "Local videos." It seems to be worse with CNN.com and in SOME cases youtube though Cnn the big culprit. Its likely something to do with the way the mac renders the version of Flash that CNN uses??

Yes, many Mac fan boys act like Apple can do no wrong and I hate those people. Nothing is 100% perfect... not even Apple.

I ran a speed test and I attached a copy of it to this post showing that I have good download speeds.

What if you play youtube videos through HTML5 rather than flash?
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Are you connected with WiFi or an ethernet cable? What kind of speeds do you get when you use www.speedtest.net? You ram is pretty low, but there may be some ways to improve the overall performance. Do you experience the same problem when you exit out of Firefox and try the same test with Chrome?

You can also increase your RAM for better performance.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.