• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Fatwalleters,

A friend of mine is heading back to Asia, and wanted to install a Slingbox/HAVA type device to enable remote watching of TV in the US. Primarily this is used for the parent who wants to watch Asian specific content.

I know the older Slingbox and HAVA had an internal TV tuner via coaxial. It seems like the newer versions now rely on IR blasters and cable boxes to change the channels. Given where my friend is from, coaxial cable still seem to be very relevant. Didn't know if anyone know of any other device that still have coaxial support?

I know I can purchase a used Slingbox or HAVA from eBay, my only concern is the product is quite dated and no longer supported. Would hate to purchase something only to find out it would no longer work.

Thoughts?

Member Summary

Don't forget the old slingbox was analog , don't buy one like that.

Analog isn't a problem as long as the country he's taking it to hasn't gone all digital. I'm in the US and still have 2 of the original Slingbox classics working fine on my cable system without set top boxes. I can't get PPV or premium channels on it, but I can always switch over to the DVR input for that. Honestly, unless you absolute have to have hi-def when away from home, the old Slingboxes are fine and likely much cheaper. I can have 2 AV inputs and 1 coax connected to my classic simultaneously and switch between them at will. They even work fine with the Android Slingbox app as long as you don't upgrade the firmware. From what I've read, the firmware upgrades are what kills them.

KuoH

forbin4040 said:   Don't forget the old slingbox was analog , don't buy one like that.

Thanks! Appreciate the insights.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014