Wireless USB Adapter Can't See Network

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My neighbor has an old Dell PC with a Dell 1450 wireless USB adapter. Everything else in the house is Mac, including his router. It's an Airport Express.

We just wiped his machine and did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro.

After installing the driver for the wireless adapter, I can't get it to connect to his network. I can't even get it to see his network. It's as if his network isn't broadcasting the SSID, but in fact it is, because I can see it on my PC laptop and my iPhone. The wireless adapter sees all of the other networks in the surrounding area, and I can successfully connect to my network, but I simply can't see his network.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this since I can't even see the network. Can't see it with the Dell wireless software utility nor with the built-in Windows wireless utility. I tried manually entering his SSID and encryption key to no avail.

So far, I've updated to SP3, installed all Windows updates and installed the latest driver for the USB wireless adapter. I still can't see his network.

I'm stumped. It's a fresh Windows install from a wiped drive, so I don't see anything from a software standpoint that could be causing a problem. My gut tells me that it's related to a PC trying to connect to the Airport Express, but I was able to connect with my PC laptop just fine...

Any suggestions?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you have a different wireless USB adapter you could try? Also I am assuming that you tested the phone in the same area as PC. Just ruling out you are out of range or some other interference.

1. Power cycle his router
2. Update the firmware on his router
3. Ensure SSID broadcast is turned on. (The SSID is embedded in the traffic even when broadcast is off. this matters to some adapers
4. Manually enter the SSID and connect to it

Hhoudini said:   Do you have a different wireless USB adapter you could try? Also I am assuming that you tested the phone in the same area as PC. Just ruling out you are out of range or some other interference.Yes, when I connected with my phone and also my laptop PC, I was in the same room as the DellPC that we can't seem to get connected.

No, I don't have a different USB adapter to try... Not to mention, the adapter itself seems to work fine as I was able to connect to my wireless network 2 houses down with it.

ellory said:   1. Power cycle his router
2. Update the firmware on his router
3. Ensure SSID broadcast is turned on. (The SSID is embedded in the traffic even when broadcast is off. this matters to some adapers
4. Manually enter the SSID and connect to it
SSID is being broadcast. Tried manually entering the SSID with no luck. Haven't yet tried a power-cycle or firmware update.

Anybody have any insight as to why a wireless card would see a dozen or so SSID broadcasts in my neighborhood but not see my neighbor's particular SSID broadcast? It just doesn't make logical sense to me...

Incompatibility in the implementation of the standard. I support a nonprofit. No apple product would connect to the routers no matter what we did, but no issues with PCs, Linux, Android, etc.
Had to buy a different brand of router, since we could not fix the Apple products that people brought in

How about if you use the neighbor's usb adapter on your laptop? Will it connect then?

Was it working properly before the reformat, or has it never worked?

FunnyStuff said:   How about if you use the neighbor's usb adapter on your laptop? Will it connect then?

Was it working properly before the reformat, or has it never worked?
Good thought - I'll give that a try (using the USB adapter on my laptop). I'm ashamed I didn't think of that myself...

My neighbor indicated that it was working properly years ago (he hasn't used the machine in question in years). Given that it was so long ago, I'm not convinced that it was or wasn't working.

I once had an old netgear wireless adapter and it refused to work properly until I downloaded their specific drivers. Maybe your situation is similar.

HERE is the driver that you need. Give it a try. ** Update.. I see you tried that... nevermind.

Also, is the router set to only send/receive data to and from an 'N' adapter??

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.