Drive image backup software

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm new to backups but wondering if there are any easy to understand software to make complete image backups of a whole drive? I tried Ghost but it is overly complicated and they have a one time backup but not sure if it is a true disk image since it is like vi2 files??

any suggestions for simple software to create like an ISO like image and be able to restore it later?

I don't care about personal data, I just want to be able to recover with clean windows with it decrapified and software I always use installed but nothing else. When I use PC recovery, it reinstalls crapware.

not sure if it matters but my drive it partitioned into 3 parts, os/data/recovery

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've been using an older version of Acronis True Image for years. I create a boot CD or bootable USB drive to boot directly into the program and make an image at least once a month. Saved my butt numerous times over the years.

What version of Windows? Windows 7 and 8 have a built in backup program that will create an image back up for you. No need for anything else for what you are after.

But the Ghost files are indeed a true image of the drive. They are in a proprietary format only used by Ghost, but still a completely good image that you can make a full restore from.

minidrag said:   What version of Windows? Windows 7 and 8 have a built in backup program that will create an image back up for you. No need for anything else for what you are after.

But the Ghost files are indeed a true image of the drive. They are in a proprietary format only used by Ghost, but still a completely good image that you can make a full restore from.

win 7, if I reformat the hard drive, will it reinstall the same as before I did reformat? just hit restore and it then boots up with all partitions and boot record and all?

Not that simple. Although I have not done a win 7 restore as of yet, I have used the backup utility. You first have to backup on a regular basis(including creating an image) or have it scheduled,to an external HD. If win 7 is still working, you can restore from the backup/restore utility ( no need to format first). You should make a boot system repair cd from the utility when you make your first back up so you can run a restore if win 7 becomes totally corrupt. Also see How To Restore Windows 7 from a System Image

skibum43 said:   Not that simple. Although I have not done a win 7 restore as of yet, I have used the backup utility. You first have to backup on a regular basis(including creating an image) or have it scheduled,to an external HD.
That's not correct - OP wanted to make an image of a clean install, after removing preinstalled crapware. For that there is no need for regular backups or scheduling. Just an image.

The link you provided is very nice. It shows how the image restore will handle repartitioning if needed, as OP asked.

Image of a clean install is great to have in case of a major failure, but then you have to do all the windows updates and program updates that occurred since that was first created. If you are willing to go through that tedious process, that's fine, but I prefer to have a monthly images which limit that pain. I have found that one bad program/driver install or some other glitch can some times screw up windows and my less than one month old image can get me back to where I want to be pretty quickly. Also, I was trying to clarify to the OP that windows 7 doesn't automatically make the image backup unless you take affirmative action to set it up.

I completely agree about having backups. Just didn't seem to be what OP was trying to do.

And yes, it certainly does require a bit of work. And, again, that link you provided is great. I'm saving it for future reference.

very helpful, I as not aware of those tools in windows 7

and call me crazy, but I am not an updater, Not fond of pushed updates that serve MS instead of PC owner sometimes(phone home crap)so I disable updates.

FrugalFreak said:   and call me crazy, but I am not an updater, Not fond of pushed updates that serve MS instead of PC owner sometimes(phone home crap)so I disable updates.Many security flaws are patched via update - Windows, Java, Flash... if you don't install those updates you are leaving your system open.

On another note though, you may want to check this out:

Comodo Time Machine - Free

It lets you roll back your entire system (not just parts of it as System Restore does) to snapshots that it takes when you tell it to.

minidrag said:   Comodo Time Machine - Free

It lets you roll back your entire system (not just parts of it as System Restore does) to snapshots that it takes when you tell it to.
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds like GoBack.

Wikipedia says it's been discontinued.

There's a review of it here.

I didn't know it had been discontinued... Maybe it doesn't work with Windows 8.

And yes, very much like goback, but free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014