• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I never had this till recently. It shows up when I sign into sites with my Hotmail account and only shows the letters in the passwords if I click on it. Might I have turned it on by clicking on something I wasn't aware of? Could it be malware?

Member Summary

Sounds like a browser add on. What browser are you using?

IE 10. After I saw your answer I found a solution on Techfeb.com for getting rid of it in Windows 8. I have 7. It says to bring up the Run box, type gpedit.msc and then go to the Group Policy editor, for a start. Do these things exist in Windows 7?

Is there a simple way to do it? Thanks for getting me this far.

Group policy editor has been around since Windows 95. Maybe even before that, but my memory of Windows 3.x is a bit fuzzy.

gpedit is not on all versions of windows. I wish it was. it doesn't come with Windows 7 Home Premium

To disable the password eye in IE10, you will need to modify the registry:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_8/ie10-...

that page said: Start > search box, type regedit > press Enter >

expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
expand Software
expand Policies
Right click Microsoft > click New > click Key > type Internet Explorer
Right click at Internet Explorer > New > Key > type Main
Right click at Main > New > click Dword (32bit) value > type DisablePasswordReveal
Right click at DisablePasswordReveal > click Modify > under Vaue data box, enter 1 > ( see screenshot below ) > click OK

On a side note, that password reveal "eye" only shows up under specific circumstances. It should only show up if the field started blank, and then you type something in it. The eye is only available for a short period of time or until you submit the form. It's probably totally secure as you probably wont type in a password and then walk away without doing anything other than typing the password.

riznick said:   gpedit is not on all versions of windows. I wish it was. it doesn't come with Windows 7 Home PremiumI didn't realize it wasn't in 7 Home.

Apparently you can get it in there though, if you want to add it.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-ms...

Thanks for the directions and the link, but I can't get past Main. My Windows 7 is 64 bit Home Premium service pack 1. Is the 64 bit why I can't get past Dword (32bit) value? I tried Qword (64bit) value, but that didn't work either. I think I erased everything I did before I closed Regedit. Guess I'll know for sure if I can't get into Windows tomorrow.

Sometimes I can get the eye to go away, but only after clicking a bunch of things, so I'm not sure how I did it.

I just followed the instruction on my Windows 7 64 bit and had no issues. What exactly do you mean by 'couldn't get past Main'?

After I typed in Main, I clicked on Dword (32bit) value, but I couldn't get a space to open up to type DisablePasswordReveal. I tried right clicking and left clicking to get there. I'll try again.

Once Main is created (after you hit Enter to save it) you then Right Click on Main to get the needed menu to create the New - Dword.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014