[old] cheap phone or smartphone

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Trying to pick a phone to use with pageplus after my last phone expired. Paid $100 for a year and I barely used it.

I really wouldn't mind a basic phone that just makes phone calls, but I'm also looking at a cheap smartphone like a Droid X.

It just seems like it be worth it when they're going for only about $50 on the bay. Haven't seen any ridiculously inexpensive flip phones.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

CowBoom is a good resource, you can also google to see if any of the clearance VirginMobile phones are hackable/flashable to PP, howardforums will be a good resource as well
wife has the droid x, it's a nice phone

See if your state has free phones based on income.

skh12 said:   CowBoom is a good resource, you can also google to see if any of the clearance VirginMobile phones are hackable/flashable to PP, howardforums will be a good resource as well
wife has the droid x, it's a nice phone

I looked at CB but they all seemed to be higher priced....and the person/people selling them on thebay have really good feedback...checked HF too to see if they had any recommendations (the droid x and incredible came up a lot)

I have no clue about flashing anything...the topic I read at HF that was talking about the usual, widely available prepaid models, was saying you're probably going to be out of luck

If there was a deal/coupon/something that would be one thing but I really don't want to have to wait to get a replacement

handyguy said:   See if your state has free phones based on income.

It does, but it's going to cost more in taxpayer dollars than if I just handle it myself

My understanding is that it has to be a Verizon non-prepaid phone to work on PagePlus. If you don't mind an obsolete OS (WebOS), I'm using a Palm Pixi Plus, which can be found for around $50-60 on eBay, that works well with PP.

This is depended on your requirements. Now smart phones are also available at cheap prices.

I agree with alber, nowadays there are so many cheap smart phones.

You don't need a data plan to use a smartphone.

If you have WiFi, you can use most smartphone features of a smartphone without a data plan.

I dont use data plan either, it's really much cheaper. Wifi is more faster by the way. you're right @telflonmail

Highly recommend the Fascinate over the Droid X or Incredible. It works fully on pageplus with no flashing required at all, but if you can follow some simple instructions to root it, overclock it, and install a newer version of Android (see XDA), You will have a Galaxy smartphone that rivals the newer Nexus with much less invested.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014