• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
At home I have a "daisy-chained" network. Today I can't print to a network printer (cat5e cable) any longer. My set up looks like this:

Modem --> Wireless router --> Cat5e to Linksys 5 port switch in basement --> to 2 pc's and 1 Linksys 5 port switch (other side of basement) --> to 2 pc's and Printer.

Initially I couldn't print from one of the pc's in the basement hooked to the same switch, so I moved the printer to the other switch and tried one of the pc's hooked to that switch. It worked, so I "assumed" my farthest switch went bad so I replaced it with a new router (in place of the switch). Moved printer back to the very end of the line and still couldn't print.

I'm not sure if one of my switches just went bad, or if it's something else. Maybe I need to unplug everything from the modem, router and 2 switches and then plug them back in one at a time?

3 of the 4 pc's have Windows XP and can connect back to the internet without a problem. One pc has Win7 (closest to the end by the printer) and the darn thing can't connect to the net. It says I'm on a "Public" group..... NO I'M NOT. I'm on my home group. How do I fix that?

Bottom line, I don't know what happened in the last 24/48 hours but why doesn't the darn printer print any longer? It's a total PIA.

Thanks for your help.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Routers are not switches. Routers, unless programmed correctly, create another network which will be kept separate from your main network - so that printer isn't likely to work unless you put a switch in there to replace the switch that went bad.

minidrag said:   Routers are not switches. Routers, unless programmed correctly, create another network which will be kept separate from your main network - so that printer isn't likely to work unless you put a switch in there to replace the switch that went bad.

Thank you. I'll try that when I get home.

What's the trick in Win7 to tell the computer/laptop that you are on your home network after it identifies it as a "Public" one?

Click on the Networking icon in the tray and select Open Network Sharing Center. In the Active Network list you'll see your network and Public Network under it in blue. Click on the blue and you can change it.

Got everything working again with a new switch.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014