help with updating few years old system

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
not for the casual FWer, but only for the dedicated hardcore FWer.

looking for best bang for the buck upgrade(s) like any FWer would do.

what specific piece to upgrade, to what, and price, and justification?

cpuz spec
with 8800gts and 75gb WD raptor booting win 7, and 200GB PATA store drive.

When I run diablo 3 off the PATA drive, sometimes drive would seek/write and game would be laggy. this is my main problem thus desire to fix, but looking to play xcom in the future and want my pc to last a few more years (if that's possible) due to light gaming and web use only.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

get more RAM, if your running 32bit windows go to 4gb, scan at Crucial.com for proper type/configuration of RAM, look into a DX10 compatible video card, was just a gef650 in hot deals for $100

vid card from hot deals

I agree completely with skh12, bump up your memory to 4GB and get a video card for around $100 that falls somewhere around row 8/9/10 in the hierarchy chart @ Tom's.

That said, before I spent any money I would take a look at Windows itself and see how many processes are running and whether or not your current system is optimized. 8800GTS is no slouch and depending on which version you have you may be able to clean up Windows and running processes and find the performance acceptable...

Also, I found that on my system (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+), Diablo 3 was choppy until I forced it to only use one CPU core instead of two. I would definitely try that before anything else, as it only takes a few seconds. You can do this by right-clicking the Diablo 3 process in Task Manager and selecting 'Set Affinity...' and then unchecking all of the cores but CPU0 (or whichever core you want to use). I have no idea if this problem / solution is applicable to all systems with multiple cores and Diablo 3 or just mine. I recall having the same choppy issue with GTA3 back in the day and was able to fix it in the same manner, by limiting the affinity to 1 CPU core.

oh forgot, run a Hard drive diag as well, the 8800 is a very good card

PATA?

well there's your problem...even if you get a used system, anything made even 5+ years ago, would be faster than that

No argument that PATA is old technology, but it's certainly not causing lag in Diablo3 in and of itself...

ChinaRider said:   No argument that PATA is old technology, but it's certainly not causing lag in Diablo3 in and of itself...
I wouldn't be so sure...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014