HD clone s/w?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Looking to clone my win8 HD.

Might have physical errors b/c it hangs after a lot of usage. Would cloning to another drive solve the problem? If so what's the best software for that? Some shareware I can d/l would be great...

any reviews of http://tucows.com/preview/1584473/FarStone-DriveClone?q=clone

Thinking of going the SSD route to avoid this in the future..

Looking for good SSD deals as well...

Member Summary

From the FOS community try: Clonezilla, Parted Magic, or System Rescue CD.

Google Search provided Wikipedia list of disk cloning software. [I highly recommend that you use your noodle and try this free service.]

Edit: SSD also wear out and have other failure modes.

I've used Acronis true image for years and it has worked well for me. If you have a Seagate or Western Digital HD either in or attached to your PC you can download and use their limited version of Acronis directly from their web sites for free.
seagate Disc Wizard
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

You may want to consider a hardware solution as well. I have this and have been satisfied with its performance so far, both as an external drive dock and as a duplicator.

Flatbob said:   You may want to consider a hardware solution as well. I have this and have been satisfied with its performance so far, both as an external drive dock and as a duplicator.Reading the reviews on this product I found one big negative regarding this product as a cloning device:

"Cons: It can only clone same size drive to same size drive. Why would anybody clone a drive onto another drive of the exact same size? The main purpose behind cloning a drive is to upgrade to a larger one! It also would have been nice to be informed of this limitation on the purchase page before I bought it."

I don't agree with the "The main purpose ... to upgrade to a larger one!" but in my experience after a few years same size replacement drive(s) become scarce and more expensive than newer models which also have larger capacity.

All of the software solutions I'm aware of do not have this limitation and, if data will fit, clone to a smaller drive.

kshell said:   Flatbob said:   You may want to consider a hardware solution as well. I have this and have been satisfied with its performance so far, both as an external drive dock and as a duplicator.Reading the reviews on this product I found one big negative regarding this product as a cloning device:

"Cons: It can only clone same size drive to same size drive. Why would anybody clone a drive onto another drive of the exact same size? The main purpose behind cloning a drive is to upgrade to a larger one! It also would have been nice to be informed of this limitation on the purchase page before I bought it."

I don't agree with the "The main purpose ... to upgrade to a larger one!" but in my experience after a few years same size replacement drive(s) become scarce and more expensive than newer models which also have larger capacity.

All of the software solutions I'm aware of do not have this limitation and, if data will fit, clone to a smaller drive.
That reviewer is incorrect. The Quick Start guide says you can clone to a drive of equal or larger* capacity.

*Of course, then you'll have unallocated space. You can either:
  1. leave it as is,
  2. use partitioning software to expand the partition to use the whole drive, or
  3. use partitioning software to create an additional partition to use the whole drive.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014