Silverlight is a complete pile of poo

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Confirmed once and for all. I dumped Netflix and went with Amazon prime. No way can you run full screen HD Netflix video on a Pentium 4. It always looked like a slide show. My last P4, the garage computer with windows XP, 3.2 gig P4 (NOT a Pentium D, it's a Northwood), 2 gigs of ram and GS7600 video card running DVI into HDMI into AOC 26 inch LCD TV. After the first 10 seconds, the full screen video plays great on HD Amazon prime. They use Flash. Apparently Flash uses far fewer resources or is better at allocating those resources compared to Silverlight which was supposed to become able to allocate load to the GPU but still has never actually done so.

What's my point? Just that Silverlight is still a pile of poo and is wasting resources even on machines that can run full screen HD video using Netflix. Sure my core2quads could run it easily but it was using much more CPU than it needed to use.

And my other point is Netflix should dump Silverlight and use Flash. But can ipods and iphones use flash yet?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Adobe Flash is a disaster and many providers and web sites are running away from it. It is full of security holes and is has been buggy, and performance has been flaky since its inception. Html5 is the future. You will see less and less sites supporting flash. If you want to view streaming video, you really need a more modern PC than a P4 running xp.

See the following articles:

Beware: Adobe Flash Is Under Siege!
Android Flash Player RIP: How to Get it Now That it's Gone

skibum43 said:   Adobe Flash is a disaster and many providers and web sites are running away from it. It is full of security holes and is has been buggy, and performance has been flaky since its inception. Html5 is the future. You will see less and less sites supporting flash. If you want to view streaming video, you really need a more modern PC than a P4 running xp.

See the following articles:

Beware: Adobe Flash Is Under Siege!
Android Flash Player RIP: How to Get it Now That it's Gone

Apparently if you are running flash on a northwood with 7600GS AGP and streaming HD Amazon Prime it is possible.

skibum43 said:   Adobe Flash is a disaster and many providers and web sites are running away from it. It is full of security holes and is has been buggy, and performance has been flaky since its inception. Html5 is the future. You will see less and less sites supporting flash.
I've been hearing this for half a decade. After all these years, HTML5 is still not ideal for many of these providers. Sure a newer, better technology will come out in the future. Until then, we use what's available. The OP must have Flash or Silverlight to use those providers. While popular web browsers might have some HTML5 support, none of the major web browsers properly support HTML5 yet. Yes, Flash has had performance issues in the last handful of years, but I think it's probably dishonest to claim it's been flaky since it's inception. It's also a bit of a stretch to claim web sites are running away from it. Websites are simply moving forward to technologies that are supported by more visitors. When you claim they are running away, I think it gives the wrong impression.

jQuery plugins, not HTML5, have been the biggest hit to Flash. Most Flash work is simply rotating banners with transitions, which is getting replaced with javascript solutions for popular tablet support. There are some other benefits too... There are a ton of jQuery plug-ins which reduces development time. Edits to these plugins are often easier than edits to flash.

If providers aren't running away from it, why is it not supported by IOS and why has google stopped supporting it in Android? From the reports I've seen, it seems only java has more security vulnerabilities than flash. See Adobe Flash Player : Security Vulnerabilities

skibum43 said:   If providers aren't running away from it, why is it not supported by IOS
IOS isn't really a provider, it's an OS. Also, they didn't run away from it. There are other reasons why Flash wasn't able to integrate with IOS.

skibum43 said:    and why has google stopped supporting it in Android?
Google didn't run from Flash. In fact, I am looking at a google.com page right now that has Flash on it. Adobe chose to stop developing Flash for Android.

skibum43 said:    From the reports I've seen, it seems only java has more security vulnerabilities than flash. See Adobe Flash Player : Security Vulnerabilities
Until HTML5 is fully supported, we won't know what vulnerabilities it has. I'm not sure how this is relevant to the discussion, though.

My point was simply that Flash's decline has little to do with HTML5 and a lot more to do with HTML/Javascript. HTML5 is getting too much credit too early.

clearanceman said:   And my other point is Netflix should dump Silverlight and use Flash. But can ipods and iphones use flash yet?
Netflix used to use Flash, but they switched to Silverlight (for a while it was possible to use either).

I'm not sure, but I think Netflix switched to Silverlight due to better DRM. Either that or MS paid them a huge amount of money. In either case, Netflix is never going to use HTML5 unless some sort of DRM scheme is baked in. For devices that can't run Silverlight, Netflix has to develop an app for the platform.

I had software that would break the DRM of Netflix (in the past). The benefit to me was that I could watch movies high quality without worrying about slowdowns. that software stopped working a while back.

riznick said:   I had software that would break the DRM of Netflix (in the past). The benefit to me was that I could watch movies high quality without worrying about slowdowns. that software stopped working a while back.
That may have been when they switched fully to Silverlight. PlayLater claims to be able to record Netflix videos, although it does so by transcoding the stream, so it may not work for your situation.
http://www.playlater.tv/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014