How do I UN-domain a PC

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
PC's at work were all on a domain a few years ago. I was told "the server is gone now". The company owners PC sill shows: "business /ownersname" when he logs in.
He is having issues with the PC and wants to transfer his profile to another PC. He had someone load his profile on a flash drive and asked me to install on the new computer. When I try it says "windows easy transfer cannot log into your domain account". How do I stop the old PC from being on a domain?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Flatbob said:   Assuming the OS is XP

Sorry, should have put Win7 in origial post

Make sure you back up anything you need. The desktop, profile and My Docs file may not be accessible from the new profile

ellory said:   Make sure you back up anything you need. The desktop, profile and My Docs file may not be accessible from the new profile

just found that out the hard way. No back up, is everything lost now, or is there some way to access it?

Try logging in with Admin rights Then navigate to the domain My Docs folder and take ownership

I can get into the documents. What I need to get is everything in Outlook. Is there any way to put the domain back? System restore, maybe?

Can you find the PST file? That's all you need Here is how to find it

I used System Restore to get it back to a domain. Moved the PST and documents to the new PC. Now, is there a way to change it to a workgroup and still have access to the same programs? I noticed after I had switched it lost Outlook and
other programs.

Switching to workgroup should not lose access to programs. The desktop will change as will the Start menu so you may need to look around to find the programs, but they should all be there.

Data files are there too, but in a different place. You should have been able to get to your files without having to go back to a domain. I've done similar things many times.

In any case, Outlook will definitely be there. Did you check Start, Programs, MS Office?

minidrag said:   Switching to workgroup should not lose access to programs. The desktop will change as will the Start menu so you may need to look around to find the programs, but they should all be there.

Data files are there too, but in a different place. You should have been able to get to your files without having to go back to a domain. I've done similar things many times.

In any case, Outlook will definitely be there. Did you check Start, Programs, MS Office?

I changed another PC from domain to work group and everything was there, but that was XP, this one is Win7.
I could find the documents. Outlook 2010 was gone, but outlook 2003, or 2007 (I don't use outlook) was there with only OLD emails.
After I did the system restore Outlook 2010 was there with the current emails. I am pretty sure Eclipse also was gone from the workgroup.

minidrag said:   Switching to workgroup should not lose access to programs. The desktop will change as will the Start menu so you may need to look around to find the programs, but they should all be there.

For the most part, that's true.

Some programs, such as chrome will install into the user folders instead of program files. Those programs wont be easily accessible from other user accounts. So depending on what account is being logged into, changing the domain might make some programs disappear.

riznick said:   For the most part, that's true.

Some programs, such as chrome will install into the user folders instead of program files. Those programs wont be easily accessible from other user accounts. So depending on what account is being logged into, changing the domain might make some programs disappear.
You know, I almost mentioned user based stuff like Chrome, then decided to avoid it because OP seemed focused on Outlook. Guess I shouldn't have done that. Oh well.

OP - Yes, sure, if you open Outlook (old version of not) in a different profile you will get different data. The pointers to the PST are kept in each user profile. As for it being gone, well, all I can say is that I've installed Outlook 2010 before and changed users and it was there. When you click on it under a different name it will go through some setup stuff for that user (if it hadn't been opened there before) like it is a new install, but it is there. My only thought here is that the icon was missing for some reason and that without the icon you thought it wasn't installed. That's understandable.

To get back to your question though - can you switch and still have the same programs. Try this - Click on Start then Right Click on All Programs and choose Open. That should show you the Programs menu list for that user. Copy that folder to somewhere else, somewhere that you will have access to when you switch users. After switching go to that folder and you should be able to just click on the icons to run your programs.

You know, I almost mentioned user based stuff like Chrome, then decided to avoid it because OP seemed focused on Outlook. Guess I shouldn't have done that. Oh well.

OP - Yes, sure, if you open Outlook (old version of not) in a different profile you will get different data. The pointers to the PST are kept in each user profile. As for it being gone, well, all I can say is that I've installed Outlook 2010 before and changed users and it was there. When you click on it under a different name it will go through some setup stuff for that user (if it hadn't been opened there before) like it is a new install, but it is there. My only thought here is that the icon was missing for some reason and that without the icon you thought it wasn't installed. That's understandable.

To get back to your question though - can you switch and still have the same programs. Try this - Click on Start then Right Click on All Programs and choose Open. That should show you the Programs menu list for that user. Copy that folder to somewhere else, somewhere that you will have access to when you switch users. After switching go to that folder and you should be able to just click on the icons to run your programs.

Unfortunately I had to have the computer set up for it's new owner Monday morning, so I just eliminated the domain, and lost outlook 2010, it did not lose Eclipse though. He is OK with 2003, and when I find the disk maybe I will upgrade it. I will remember the copy the programs menu if I need to do this again.

Thanks for all the help.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014