• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'd like to rip some of my DVD collection to files that can be loaded onto my Nexus 7 tab, 32GB version. I have searched Google, but I am not familiar with such software, so it is very confusing. There are software programs, but a wide choice of formats to rip to, and I don't know which is best for an Android tablet. Then there are choices to compact the file size, again with choices that I'm not familiar with. So any suggestions and help anyone can give me is very welcome.

TIA!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

And copy protection

I use dvdfab and then handbrake to move movies from my library to my tablets.

riznick said:   I use dvdfab and then handbrake to move movies from my library to my tablets.Does the first one, dvdfab, rip the movie from my physical DVD? What does the second one, handbrake, do then? Does either one remove copy protection, as Ellory mentioned, I need to do that too?

Thanks.

DVDFab removes copy protection. It can do a lot more. I use it to rip the DVD's to the computer. Then, I might use handbrake to convert the DVD into a video file. There might be a more efficient way to do it, but I rarely convert movies for our tablets. More often, I make backup DVD's for the car.

Freemake works very well

riznick said:   DVDFab removes copy protection. It can do a lot more. I use it to rip the DVD's to the computer. Then, I might use handbrake to convert the DVD into a video file. There might be a more efficient way to do it, but I rarely convert movies for our tablets. More often, I make backup DVD's for the car.Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, but I have been traveling and a lot of personal stuff came up. But thanks for going into more detail and explaining the programs!

I guess I have been "dumb" about what these ripping programs actually do. I thought the ripping programs ripped the DVD and converted the ripped file into a video file too, like one execution after the other. But if I am understanding you, then something like DVDFab will rip the DVD, but not convert the file into a usable video file. Then something like handbrake is needed to do the actual conversion of the ripped file into a usable video file format for a tablet or whatever. Am I getting that right? If so, then great, no problem, that actually makes more sense than what I was thinking a ripper program did anyway!

You can use HandBrake. I would say HandBrake will be a good choice because first of all it is an open source, GPL-LICENSED, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD ripper. Secondly it supports video transcoder available for Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. This contains a relatively small size for all the features offers by it. t transcodes at using the CPU to do the job, the transcoded video is surprisingly good quality for the amount of time it takes to rip.

NERO works very easy.

My favorite for that purpose is AppGeeker DVD Ripper, supports ripping DVD movies to all known formats.
http://www.ilikemall.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mov-mac.html
I haven't done it in quite a while, but it is just what I use.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014