System doesn't connect to internet

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi I have Dell Inspiron 1750

Today i did a reinstall of the OS from the Dell CD(Vista). Ever since my system doesn't connect to a network. I am not even seeing a wireless adapter shown in the device manager
IPCONFIG /ALL shows only Ethernet local area connection and Tunnel Adapter Local area connection.
No wireless adapter seen.

Not sure whats going on here. I downloaded and tried to install the driver Dell Wireless 1515 (11agn) WLAN but it gives an error
"the device may not be present or could have been ejected"

Member Summary

can you connect via wired ethernet?
Did it work wirelessly before?
Did you select the correct Windows version of the driver?
Does your machine have the Intel wireless hw and not the Dell wireless hw?

Probably did not install the driver disk. Dell puts that on a different disk than the OS

VAIndigo said:    I downloaded and tried to install the driver Dell Wireless 1515 (11agn) WLAN but it gives an error
"the device may not be present or could have been ejected"

Wireless USB adapters are cheap. Instead of driving yourself crazy, just buy one.

Is the Wireless Adapter enabled? The F2 key (some say just F2, others say FN-F2 or even FN-ALT-F2) should enable it and then it should be configurable.

This page:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-17...

Lists 3 different possible wireless cards in that machine. Have you tried the other two (Intel, as ellory mentioned and Dell 1397) yet?

I had this issue once with my Dell. It seems the wireless card was hardware disabled. The way around it for me was to- shut down, disconnect the power, remove battery, press power a few times, reinsert battery, reconnect AC power and turn on computer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014