• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

was that a mandatory one?

yes - they've withdrawn it for the time being but it was mandatory at least through Wednesday.

Good thing I've got the Service shut off.

From what I've read it only affected people with Kaspersky AV. I've only seen a few posts about it though. Just glad I always wait a bit before installing updates.

The worst effect is the blue screen of death. I don't have Kapersky, but I did get the blue screen on one PC when it tried to restart, but luckily it did restart, but some of the updates, including the one in question, were shown as "pending" in the update list. Restored an image prior to the updates and then the updates went fine w/o the 2823324. The kapersky effect is less serious:

"Microsoft recommends that users uninstall the patch, and warns that another issue with the security update may cause anti-virus programs cease to work correctly. The Redmond giant says that Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations and Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Servers versions 6.0.4.1424 and 6.0.4.1611 may display an error message stating that licenses for the products are not valid, and so the software will cease to function."

Text

What I had read was that machines with Kaspersky were the ones getting the BSOD. I guess there is more to it.

I installed Win 8 about 6 weeks ago and the only thing I update is the Defender virus protection. I used to have Win 7 on another computer and got tired of every time I turned it on they wanted me to install another update. I think after awhile, they were actually slowing my system down. When I did the Win 8 install I decided to do no updates (other than Defender) and see how things went. Things are still running great and I get no errors or indications that I need additional software for things to run right.

You are playing with fire. It may be running "fine" to you, but you don't know what is happening in the background and what security holes are being exploited. This is the first update I can remember in a long time that caused any problems. Just hope you don't keep or do anything on your computer that is valuable to you. Also, all it takes is one false step in the future to hose your PC. Hope you are backing up and imaging on a regular basis.

miqie said:   I installed Win 8 about 6 weeks ago and the only thing I update is the Defender virus protection. I used to have Win 7 on another computer and got tired of every time I turned it on they wanted me to install another update. I think after awhile, they were actually slowing my system down. When I did the Win 8 install I decided to do no updates (other than Defender) and see how things went. Things are still running great and I get no errors or indications that I need additional software for things to run right.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014