Google Chrome Book Question?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am looking to purchase an Acer Chrome Book for my Mom...She is still on Earthlink and does not want to go wireless. In the info it says it can be used with wired connections...Could someone explain this to me? Also would one of those portable modems you plug into the lap top work in this case? Thanks in advance for your help!

Member Summary

If you are talking about eathlink dialup, I do not believe it would be a good idea even if it does work. The chromebook has to pull everything from the internet and I doubt dial up could handle the demands. If she has a broadband connection, ethernet could work if it has an ethernet jack or you buy a dongle that converts ethernet to USB.

ricksgal said:    Also would one of those portable modems you plug into the lap top work in this case? Thanks in advance for your help!If you are asking about one of the cellular service offerings... maybe, but you need to check with the cell company. Most of them require software to be installed and they may not offer anything that would work correctly with the OS on the chromebook.

Thanks...I wasn't quite sure...Even though it is only 200 I felt I should ask first! I so appreciate all the good advice!

Keep an eye out for a regular laptop. If all she does is basic internet and email, you should be able to find a basic laptop for $300 or less.

Hope you don't mind if I ask, how might the Chrome Book differ from a regular lap top...At Best Buy they told me it is...Not that I trust them! But I do trust the tech savvy at FW!

Chrome book relies on the browser for it's apps. Some can be stored in memory, but it relies heavily on the internet connection. It probably won't have a DVD drive. Laptops have a more robust operating system (e.g., Windows 8) that can run a larger variety of programs outside the browser and doesn't need to be connected to the internet to run these program ( e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, picture and video editing, etc). Bottom line is a chrome book is very limited compared to a full scale laptop. Never ceases to amaze me the misinformation provided at stores like best buy. Reminds me of the episode of the Big Bang Theory where everyone comes up to Sheldon in the computer store because the staff is so incompetent.

That was a funny one! I guess you kept me from getting banged! LOL

Bazinga! Here's the clip: video
They left out the best part though, where the guy from the store says "you don't work here" and Sheldon responds "apparently no one else does either."

For me, I'd also choose for a regular laptop. Maybe it costs a bit pricey but it's more convenient and no regrets at all

I'm all for no regrets! That's why I always ask here first!

skibum43 said:   Keep an eye out for a regular laptop. If all she does is basic internet and email, you should be able to find a basic laptop for $300 or less.

I agree.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014