Switching to windows 8 from 7

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I love windows 7 but i got a deal on a new computer that I couldn't refuse and of course it comes with Windows 8. I searched and people say the best way to make it look like 7 is start8?

Do you guys agree? I want my windows live mail which I guess I can download just like I had to do for 7. And I hope I can still have the scrolling desktop where it shows a different photo at at an interval of my choice.

I am told I can still push a window into the side of the screen and have it take up half the monitor, one of my favorite features..

I know this is small stuff but I lived with Vista Home Basic 32 bit for three years and just switched to Windows 7 which is close to perfect IMO. I don't want to fight with another operating system. I did my time with Vista.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Try Windows 8 out before you start messing with it's features. Maybe you won't like the intro "metro" screen, but it's only one click to get to the Desktop screen from there. And maybe you will actually like it. I know some people that do.

I like StartIsBack more than Start8. It's more like the Start menu in Windows 7.

We had a discussion here with some other ones including some free options:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/1264670/m17659270/

I code all day at work on a windows 7 box and at home I have windows 8 with class shell that is free. I can't tell the different expect my home computer boots faster.

I've tried some other start menus but classic shell seams the fastest and most stable. Plus it have a ton of options so you can make your computer look like Windows 95 "Start me up"

riznick said:   We had a discussion here with some other ones including some free options:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/technology/1264670/m17659270/

Thanks for sharing this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014