• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hey Guys. I have an office with 4 computers and I have 3 employees. I'll probably be adding another laptop too. At the moment I have Office 2010 on 2 of the computers and own 1 copy of Windows 2013 that I haven't installed yet. On the computers without office I have been using openoffice which has been tedious. We mostly use spreadsheets for inventory and formulas for pricing.

I see there are multiple options on 2013 for purchasing. It doesn't look like they do the multi-packs anymore. We are getting to the point where we are going to start moving to Microsoft Access so I am guessing it would probably be best to get 2013 on all the computers. I also want to share the database easily online if I can. I love how easy it is to share google docs, but unfortunately gdocs can't handle our complicated spreadsheets.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with 2010 and 2013 and have any thoughts about using office for sharing/editing files online. I am able to throw money down and buy 2013 for all the comps, but would it be better to pay monthly? It looks like you may get some added online features with one of their monthly plans.

If anybody has any advice to get the most out of office and get the best deal I would love to hear it. Microsoft does explain everything on their site about purchasing and functionality but I'd love to hear from some users to see what works well and what does not. Thanks.

Member Summary

Not that I have anything against this forum - I'm here all the time - but if you want to get a wider variety of answers you may want to go somewhere a little bigger. Have you ever heard of SpiceWorks? It's a free network inventory / help desk program, but they also have a giant free support forum divided into groups. There's one for MS Office here:

http://community.spiceworks.com/group/268-microsoft-office

minidrag said:   Not that I have anything against this forum - I'm here all the time - but if you want to get a wider variety of answers you may want to go somewhere a little bigger. Have you ever heard of SpiceWorks? It's a free network inventory / help desk program, but they also have a giant free support forum divided into groups. There's one for MS Office here:

http://community.spiceworks.com/group/268-microsoft-office

Thank you, I will give them a try.

Microsoft has really caught up with google docs.
You can share MS Office docs and even edit them simultaneously.

There is a discussion of this in an old FW Technology thread here.

I don't really have good answers to your questions, but I do have a couple of ideas.

First, I would check out the free skydrive option. It may be that Office 2010 and 2013
can play well together. When I got my Win 7 computer with office 2010 it would do things
my Vista with Office 2007 couldn't do, but they both could access the same skydrive docs.

Second, I would do a free trial of office 365 to see if it would meet your needs.

I recommend trying the skydrive online editing. There is some Excel functionality, but it's pretty limited. It depends on your needs.

One of the stores had Office365 for $100/year a few weeks ago. It seems tempting, but I'm afraid they might increase the price once I commit.

Price increases is what scares me about subscription based products.

I think Adobe's $30/mo promo goes to $50/mo after the promo expires (not quite sure about that). I don't even trust Intuit's QuickBooks online service. I trust Microsoft more than most other companies.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014