Need Help: Spilled water on laptop..

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello Experts:

I have always received excellent help here and able to save my computers from the brink of death, so here I am again:

Last night, my daughter spilled some water on her laptop (Lenovo, windows 7). It worked fine for a while (30-45 minutes) after that. Now, there is no display on the screen, while there is continuous sound from the fan. I tried restarting the computer (holding the power button down to shut down), but still the same problem...no display and fan continuously makes the sound. DVD drive still opens (don't know if that matters). Is there anything I can do at this time to save the computer and data or it is gone??

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I think the "lol!" was at the thought of someone using cooked rice, rather than uncooked rice, to desiccate a laptop.

Flatbob (May. 18, 2013 @ 8:06a) |

Rice can help only if it makes contact the the moist object or the container is sealed.

larrymoencurly (May. 20, 2013 @ 5:53p) |

turn off the pc and take out battery,dried exposed areas。it will be ok

jimmyfm (Jun. 14, 2013 @ 9:53a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You should have stopped using the laptop as soon as it got wet (i.e. powered it off) and waited until all moisture was gone before you used it.

Given that you can't undo that, at this point I would hook it up to an external monitor to see if you can determine if the problem is with the GPU or the screen itself...

just leave it alone for a few days with the battery out and unplugged, you might get lucky,

Thanks for the replies, ChinaRider and skh12!!

Is it ok to take the HD drive out to get the data?

Absolutely. If it were me, I'd disassemble it as much as possible in order to help things dry out.

Thanks once again, ChinaRider!! Will try to recover the data!!

I would take off any thing that's removable and then put it in front of a small fan for a day or so. I've also heard of using rice in a bowl to dry out cell phones. You submerge the phone in the rice for a day and it absorbs the moisture. Guess it would work for a laptop too.

Thanks for the suggestion, miqie. I will try that, or may be put the laptop out in the sun..it is already close to 90 here

Rice might work, but with so many small parts, I dont want to try that..

putting in the SUN does not dry out the internal parts. For phones rice works but not for something with large gaping holes like a laptop.

Since op left it on after it was wet, something is probably shorted now. Plug in an external and see if that works OR remove the HD and get someone to d/l the files before you REGRET IT MORE

The first thing to do is turn off the laptop, turn it upside down to prevent water from flowing farther into the computer, and remove the battery.
If possible, keep the computer that way in a warm room for at least full day.

The rice trick to remove moisture doesn't help unless everything is in a sealed container, and it's probably better to leave the computer unsealed so moisture in it can evaporate into the room.

Thanks forbin and larry!!

The battery has been removed since this morning and it is sitting upside down. My next plan of action is to take apart as many parts as I can, get the data off of HD (if possible) and then use hair dryer and finally leave it in a warm room for a day or two. Will keep updating this post..

My latest experience came with a cell phone dropped into a lake for a couple seconds. We took apart what we could and dried exposed areas. Then set the oven on warm (barely) and left the phone in overnight. Next morning reassembled and it it's tsill working several months later.

For a laptop it may take much longer to completely dry out. But as I read OP you operated it for awhile after the water, and then it died, so likely something is fried inside and complete drying won't save it anyway.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

may be too late for OP, but generally do these:
1. turn off the laptop
2. unplug power cord and take out battery
3. leave laptop open in (sunny) warm room, and have a fan blowing on it for 3 days

This would give the best chance of not shorting anything (more) shorting out, and after that time try plugging it in and hope it powers on.

What Kind of Lenovo? Thinkpads have spillproof keyboards.

As others have mentioned you need to do certain things right away.

I spilled coffee on my Lenovo X301 laptop. It wasn't just drops. There
is a plastic liner under the keyboard of thinkpads that directs liquids
away from the motherboard.

I immediately powered it down, unplugged it and took out the battery. Then
I turned it over and got some coffee out that way.

That evening the laptop powered up and worked fine, except for the speakers which are
exposed on the front of the palm rest on this model. The headphone jack isn't quite
right either, but I think I was lucky.

It is Lenovo Thinkpad Edge..dont know if it has spillproof keyboard or not

Well, here is the link to spec sheets on Lenovo.. http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tech-specs/laptop/thinkpad/edg...

It shows Keyboard as being Spill-resistant, full-sized keyboard...so dont know if that will help me recover this...

Update: Looks like the hard drive is good. I took it out, and was able to get the data off. I can see all the partitions on it.

Laptop is sitting in a sunny room, with keyboard, battery and HD removed..didn't see any water when I opened the laptop..may be (hoping) that spill-resistant keyboard did work...only time will tell now....keeping my fingers crossed...

comprx said:   My latest experience came with a cell phone dropped into a lake for a couple seconds. We took apart what we could and dried exposed areas.Using an oven can be very risky, even when set to the lowest temperature, because conventional mechanical can really overshoot the set temperature, especially during preheating. At the very least, preheat the oven before putting anything inside it. Ovens with digital controls may have electronic thermostats that don't overshoot much at all, but let them preheat, too, because you can never be sure.

You really should put an oven thermometer in there and keep the temperature below 120F, but I'd rather stay below 110F because there may be some audio components that start to be damaged above that . Note: not all thermometers are safe to use inside ovens, and the types meant to be poked into food to quickly take its temperature typically have a plastic lens and are not suitable.

I put them in a gas oven with just a pilot light on.

Update: Laptop working again

Just assembled it again, after letting it sit in a warm room with fan on for 4 days.

Thanks everyone for your advice. You are awesome!!

ChinaRider said:   Absolutely. If it were me, I'd disassemble it as much as possible in order to help things dry out.

Same, give it a few days for the moisture to evaporate. Hopefully there's no permanent damage, but you never know with these things...

Some says that if you spilled your device with water or if it gets wet, just put it in rice. I mean uncooked rice (grains) lol! leave it for 7 days. After that, you can use it already

alicepattinson said:   Some says that if you spilled your device with water or if it gets wet, just put it in rice. I mean uncooked rice (grains) lol! leave it for 7 days. After that, you can use it alreadyWhat's funny about that? Rice is the perfect way to dry something out. They absorb moisture like those little 'do not eat' packets.

Now do most people have the patience to leave it there for a week? Probably not.

forbin4040 said:   What's funny about that? Rice is the perfect way to dry something out. They absorb moisture like those little 'do not eat' packets.I think the "lol!" was at the thought of someone using cooked rice, rather than uncooked rice, to desiccate a laptop.

forbin4040 said:   alicepattinson said:   Some says that if you spilled your device with water or if it gets wet, just put it in rice. I mean uncooked rice (grains) lol! leave it for 7 days. After that, you can use it alreadyWhat's funny about that? Rice is the perfect way to dry something out. They absorb moisture like those little 'do not eat' packets.Rice can help only if it makes contact the the moist object or the container is sealed.

turn off the pc and take out battery,dried exposed areas。it will be ok

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014