• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just bought a new Dell S2740L monitor this past March and it has been working great until recently. For some reason it would just go into power saving mode by itself. Sometimes the monitor would just go blank for a bout three seconds and then turn back on again, and then on some occasions it would turn it self off and I would have to restart the PC in order for it to come back on.

I swicthed the DVI cable for another and that did no good either. I then changed video cards and it still did the same thing. So while I was doing all these changes, all of a sudden the USB PCI adapter stopped working at the same time the USB for the keyboard would not work. So, I go out and buy a motherboard thinking that was the problem. I get everything put back together and thought everything was fine and the monitor turns off again and I have to restart the PC.

Now I figured it was not the monitor because I had used my back-up Linux PC with the Dell and it worked fine for 3 days while I was getting the new motherboard. I just need some advice as to what I should do to resolve this problem.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well, I did not switch PS cause I wanted to try one more thing. That was starting to uninstall any software that was rec... (more)

NasdaqTrader889 (May. 08, 2013 @ 1:04p) |

Looks like the first reply had the right answer. ellory, once again, shows his knowledge

minidrag (May. 09, 2013 @ 6:19a) |

I get lucky some times. But you're no slouch - you're the pro

ellory (May. 09, 2013 @ 9:39a) |

Update to the latest video drivers. Look for monitor drivers and update those as well

Well, so far so good (fingers crossed). But how did this happen where I lost the drivers to the video card and the USB ports started acting up?

Well, that lasted a whole day. I turn on the PC today and walk out of the room for about 5 minutes, come back and move the mouse and nothing. A blank screen and I have to restart the PC in order to get an image on the monitor.
I don't know what else to do, rebuild the entire PC with new parts or what?

You tried 2 video cards so that's out... how about the power supply?

I guess I will try the PS. How would I know the PS is causing the problem when it does not seem anything else is wrong?

I had this problem with my Dell Monitor a few years back...it was the power supply...

NasdaqTrader889 said:   I guess I will try the PS. How would I know the PS is causing the problem when it does not seem anything else is wrong?No real way. Just experience I guess. And that may not be it, but it's fairly easy to test, so why not try it?

Are you using the video driver from the mfr or from Windows update? Switch to the mfr
If already using the mft, do a full driver uninstall and reinstall a driver that;s a few versions back

Ok, before I went out to purchase a new PS I hooked up my Linux PC with the Dell S2740L monitor again. And then I placed my main PC with my back-up monitor in the spare bedroom thinking it would cause these monitor black outs, power saving mode interuptions, etc. Well, for the past two days it did none of these things. It is working just like it should without blacking out, and this is without uninstalling the video drivers and reinstalling drivers from a few versions back. Now I an really confused about this. I will put my main PC back with the Dell 27" monitor again see what happens.

Feels like a driver or other software issue. Also, check Dell to see if there are any updates for motherboard or anything power management related

Ok, I do not know what else to do. I put the Windows PC back with the Dell S2740L monitor and it lasted 8 hours before it just blanked out again. As usual I had to restart my PC in order to get video. I am going to list my components to if that will help any.

Dell S2740L monitor
Intel Q9550 CPU
MSI G41M-P33
2x2GB Corsair DDR2
XFX Pine Group nVidia GF 7600GS Video Card
Maxtor 320GB SATA
Kingston 96GB SSD
LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 ATA Device
Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

@ellory I am using the drivers that came with the video card on the CD-ROM. I reinstalled the video drivers from a few versions back and still the same thing but only when this PC is connected to this monitor. Could it be some Adobe or java download causing this? Should I reformat? I already tried to remember what software I installed recently and uninstalled them.

Do you happen to have a spare power supply or spare video card? If so I would try swapping either of those and run it for a while to see if there is any change.

I already did the video card swap long ago. The reason I did not do a PS swap is I just switched my main PC to a back up monitor and my back up PC to the monitor in question and they functioned perfectly. It was only when I hook up my main PC with the Dell S2740L that it does this.

I got the monitor swap part, but I would still try it if you have a spare PS. Your PC could be sending more power to the video card to drive your newer monitor.

The video card swap would pretty much rule out any kind of driver issue, as long as the swap was with a different type of card, using a different driver.

I understand what you are saying about the PS swap. Because my previous monitor was a Dell 18" and now this is a Dell 27", but why would it start doing this after two months of use?
I will switch out the Corsair 650 watt with my Antec earthwatts 430 watt PS and see what happens.

My money is still on a driver or power mgt software issue. Have your tried a restore to before the problem occurred?

Power supplies go bad. The fact that it worked two months ago doesn't mean it isn't bad today. Heck, going bad is just that - working before, but not working now.

ellory said:   My money is still on a driver or power mgt software issue. Have your tried a restore to before the problem occurred?OP said he already tried a different video card though. Unless I read something wrong...

minidrag said:   ellory said:   My money is still on a driver or power mgt software issue. Have your tried a restore to before the problem occurred?OP said he already tried a different video card though. Unless I read something wrong...

Yes, but not clear if its the same brand. And Windows installed drivers are exceptionally hard to remove

Well, I did not switch PS cause I wanted to try one more thing. That was starting to uninstall any software that was recently put in the PC even before this problem started. It seems the driver from the Dell disc for the monitor was causing the problem. Funny thing I had the driver installed weeks ago before this even started, so I assuming there must have been a conflict with other software?

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me on this.

ellory said:   Update to the latest video drivers. Look for monitor drivers and update those as wellLooks like the first reply had the right answer. ellory, once again, shows his knowledge

minidrag said:   ellory said:   Update to the latest video drivers. Look for monitor drivers and update those as wellLooks like the first reply had the right answer. ellory, once again, shows his knowledge I get lucky some times. But you're no slouch - you're the pro

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014