black screen of death

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Randomly had a BSOD (had not made any hardware/software/whathaveyou changes).
Restarted and windows went into a restart loop.
Loaded a repair disk, startup repair said it was fixing drive errors.
Restarted and windows loaded, but the screen is black except for the cursor.
Tried safe mode and it gives the same thing.

sfc, fixmbr, fixboot, chkdsk...and nothing

any past experience?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Whenever I see drive errors I stop anything to do with Windows and grab a diagnostic CD. Run a full drive diagnostic. If the drive is failing anything else you do is just a waste of time.

I use the bootable SeaTools for DOS CD, but there are several out there that work just as well.

drives are all fine

ok then, on to the next step. What version of Windows is this? You tried Safe Mode.. how about Safe Mode Command Prompt?

Next steps depend on the version of Windows.

minidrag said:   ok then, on to the next step. What version of Windows is this? You tried Safe Mode.. how about Safe Mode Command Prompt?

Next steps depend on the version of Windows.

same version all around, win7 x64

already tried....made no difference

Perhaps try resetting the BIOS via the jumper on the motherboard? Also I know when my motherboard batteries go it does weird things. If you can check that as well.

Nope...no change.

lordoffire said:   same version all around, win7 x64Not sure what you mean by all around... but anyway... F8 at boot, choose Repair, cancel the auto repair if it comes up, choose Advanced and see if you can use System Restore to roll it back to before this happened.

minidrag said:   lordoffire said:   same version all around, win7 x64Not sure what you mean by all around... but anyway... F8 at boot, choose Repair, cancel the auto repair if it comes up, choose Advanced and see if you can use System Restore to roll it back to before this happened.

use the same thing on various computers...it's the best ("least worst") windows right now

already tried that...either system restore was disabled or they were stored on a separate drive or it has something to do with the drives...not an option

I would like to know why it actually happened...considering I've never seen this before

Can't answer that one. Disk controller freaked out maybe? Drive errors are always bad news.

Is this a laptop or desktop. I had a desktop one time doing strange things. Turned out to be the video card and coincidently the aged monitor decided to play games at the same time.

desktop

anything on the screen during POST? IF your drives are fine, do a visual of the motherboard components, look for swollen capacitors, and make sure the cards/cables/RAM are properly seated, i would say try another drive daig tool and make sure you select advanced options, if you had software that was "fixing drive errors" it's possible it allocated out a spot on your drive as bad, and now the system cant get to it.

your drive is the most likely suspect, get your data off and delete the windows partition and let format that pile

not that I'm aware of....I already looked it over when re-seating the graphics card and switching the jumper

I still don't think it's the drive....I haven't gotten a definitive "failure" reading yet

ended up using a system backup from a month ago...I don't think I lost anything, but I kept a backup just in case

check your RAM,Put out/Plug in and try again . maybe can fix it.

Yeah I had the same problem but this time my entire computer re formatted and lost all data. Now I use a PC backup software that saves all my files on the internet, so whenever my computer crashes, I don't have anything to lose because all of my files are stored inside a web storage instead of my PC.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014