old dell pc = new htpc, how to setup

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
i have an old Dell, pentium machine w/ vista. i use vlc to play avi and mkv files. i also use it to watch Amazon prime & hulu. it works, but kinda slow on the boot up and lots of updates etc. it runs on wifi now as i don't have any wired ports nearby. may go to a powerline setup at some point, but it works now, struggles with the 1080p files. i don't have cable nor tuner card, i watch rarely watch tv, and when i do it is ota. files are stored on external drive via usb.

i'm considering installing linux with xbmc to make it run faster, leaner.

Question:
1. will linux allow the machine to run faster? faster boot?
2. i'm not familiar with plex nor xbmc. so i don't have a preference.
3. ubuntu or mint?

tia
m

Member Summary

started with openelec install. booted up quick and installed bluecop add on for streaming Amazon prime and hulu videos. a couple of the files, mkv and avi files i had stopped playing at same points. research online indicated that bad encoding of files with errors would do that. couldn't find any error correction setting in xbmc. while i really liked the quick boot up (20 seconds or so) i didn't like the finicky nature of xbmc with some of these files and difficult to browse Amazon and hulu.
so i installed mint linux distro. again, simple install, quick boot. had to play around to get the correct drivers to play nicely. but i swear, the picture quality coming out of vlc seemed more fuzzy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014