• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am getting Charter cable installed either Wednesday or Thursday this week. Charter in giving me a free modem when they install it. 30Mbps/$29.99 per month for 12 months.
I will need to buy a router to have wireless service.
I have looked online and there are so many routers available. I am confused as to what to buy?
Big question: There are many different speed routers to buy. Not sure what speed should be the minimum to buy?
Can someone advise me as to what is the minimum speed I be should be looking at buying please? I just your do basic internet surfing and watch the occassional movie. No online gaming at all.
Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Almost any router will work for your use and provide faster speed than your internet connection. I've been using an older version of this Netgear (also refurbished) and have been happy with it and my uses are more demanding than yours.

I have another question or two please.

My laptop has a wireless card that delivers up 300 Mbps of bandwidth according to the specs.
Is there any reason to buy a router that is rated faster than N300, as it relates to this current laptop?
Would a dual-band router be better to buy?

Thanks again!

No real reason to buy a faster router. Since you are primarily interested in accessing the internet, you are really limited by your top download speed you are getting from charter. Dual band router may be useful if you have a lot of wireless networks in your area that may interfere with your network. However, you would have to live in a pretty congested area for that to happen. Just turn on the wifi on your laptop and see how many other wifi networks it sees in the area and how strong the signal is. I see at least ten from mine of varying strenghs but the router I referenced above works fine for me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014