• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
First, thanks in advance for helping me out. Now, I have an ASUS laptop that is about 2 years old, and it just quit powering on. It was on several weeks ago, then just went off (didn't go through power-off procedure, just turned off). It won't turn back on, no matter how much I swear at it, which really confuses me as this method usually works with other things.

After asking a couple of people locally, the power supply sounds like the likely culprit, and one friend said it might be too expensive to fix for this laptop. It was underpowered with only an Intel B940 or B960 processor, and cheap build. Got this ASUS (my first from them) laptop from a deal I found here and it was never great but met my needs at the time.

Since this laptop quit I have a new laptop with the Intel Core i5-3210M processor, and it's fast, light weight with a good build, etc. So, would it be best to just get one of those external enclosures to house the HDD, one that hooks up through USB 2.0, and just tear the old ASUS apart so I can get to that HDD, then use the enclosure to house and power it while I get the files off the old HDD?

Once in awhile I have seen deals on these types on enclosures, but that's all I know about them. Thanks.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have two of these and they work great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

You can find other brands cheaper.

mikefxu said:   I have two of these and they work great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

You can find other brands cheaper.
That looks like what I am asking for, thank you! So all I need to do is get the HDD out of the old ASUS laptop and plug it into this enclosure and run it through a USB hookup on my new laptop? Rosewill is a brand I see a lot for these, so I am guessing it is a good brand, plus you have two and are happy with them.

Sonofspam said:   So all I need to do is get the HDD out of the old ASUS laptop and plug it into this enclosure and run it through a USB hookup on my new laptop?
Yes, that's pretty much it. The only issue you may run into is that the USER folder (where your Documents and Pictures folders are located) may not open right away. You may get a permissions pop up, but you just need to click OK and wait a little while for it to change the permissions over then you'll be set.

Once you get your data off the old drive with the external, you should reformat that drive and use it for backups. You're somewhat lucky that it was your laptop that died, and not the harddrive, as if the harddrive had gone you wouldn't be able to retrieve any data. Always have at least two copies of any data you want to keep.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-...
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3441090/how-use-window...

marsilies said:   Once you get your data off the old drive with the external, you should reformat that drive and use it for backups. You're somewhat lucky that it was your laptop that died, and not the harddrive, as if the harddrive had gone you wouldn't be able to retrieve any data. Always have at least two copies of any data you want to keep.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-...
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3441090/how-use-window...
I'm really hoping that it is just the power supply, since it just quit and wouldn't turn back on at all. If it's the HDD, I'm screwed. You're right about keeping backups and my bad that I had not done a backup on the old ASUS laptop since December.

Good idea about keeping the old HDD around use as an external after I get it out of the laptop and transfer the data. I didn't think of doing that. After I get into the laptop I'll take the power supply out to and test it. If that's the problem then I can try to find a replacement power supply and replace it, and if the laptop works after that I can use the laptop for a niece, nephew or something like that. Guess I need to buy a mini tool set now so it will make it easier to get into the ASUS laptop.

Great links too! Thanks!

Thanks to Lordoffire too for the link to the Vantec enclosure, I grabbed one from Amazon!

In one way it's good the ASUS laptop died on me....I was kind of looking for an excuse to get a newer, better, faster laptop anyway! My new one with that hot Intel Core i5 chip is awesome and the build of the computer is great. It's a Gateway (owned by Acer now). I have had great luck with Gateway, before Acer bought them, and with Acer too, so I hope this laptop lives up to my past experience.

minidrag said:   Sonofspam said:   So all I need to do is get the HDD out of the old ASUS laptop and plug it into this enclosure and run it through a USB hookup on my new laptop?
Yes, that's pretty much it. The only issue you may run into is that the USER folder (where your Documents and Pictures folders are located) may not open right away. You may get a permissions pop up, but you just need to click OK and wait a little while for it to change the permissions over then you'll be set.
Just saw this post, and thanks for the "heads up" about the User folder. This is my first time doing this so I would have been confused about what was going on.

I would remove the drive first and see if you can recover the data.

Most laptops made in the last few years have an easily removable HDD.
There will be a panel on the bottom or the side of the laptop, and after
removing as few as two screws, you can slide out the drive.

Did you try removing the battery and then trying to power up with A/C?

If you think it is the power supply, you could try a different brick/cord first, If
that doesn't work it might be the connector has pulled away from the motherboard.

Well, as you said the best option is to get rid of the drive initially. And consider about the further actions which gives positive payback to the stuff. Itís better to avoid going for the cheap stuffs.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014